Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ford Diesel Noise?  (Read 354 times)
W7KKK

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2002, 05:50:59 PM »

I have a 1997 Ford F-350 Diesel. I have a new HS-1800 screwdriver antenna on the truck.
     On the 17 and 20 meter bands only, I have a popping noise that does up with the RPM and disappears when the antenna is disconnected or the engine is shut off.
     Process of elimination is telling me that this is the diesel injector module. The module operates at some 120 volts and taps out a tune with the 8 injectors at just the right rep rate!
     And I have been told by others that this year was about the worst and that there is really no practical cure for it.
     Has anyone ever tried placing the wiring for the injector harness in braided shielding? I know some of you have done this with standard spark ignitions and I am wondering if anyone has tried it?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2002, 06:01:50 PM »

Save yourself a lot of hastle. Palomar Engineers (http://www.palomar-engineers.com) sells snap-on beads just for this type of problem. Their FSB-1/2, and snap cover SBC-1/2, will cure most of the noise. It might take a couple to do it, however. Mount them on the injector harness where it crosses the back of the firewall. This spot is a little hard to get to, but worth the effort.

There is a TSP on this problem, but I've never read it. You can get a copy from your Ford dealer, or down load it from Helms.

Alan Applegate, KØBG

KB1ML

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2002, 10:17:11 PM »

One thing that worked wonders for my mobile rig were toroids.  

My noise level was really high, and the noise went away when I disconnected the antenna.  When I wrapped the transmission line through four toroids, most of the noise went away.  MFJ sels an RFI toroid kit for $14, and that could be a simple solution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: