Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GPS & Mobile Ops  (Read 452 times)
KF4GL

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2002, 07:52:13 AM »

Does anyone use a GPS in their vehicle to track the grid square they are operating from?  Any suggestions about a good GPS unit that displays grid squares and UTC time?

Thank you,
Jim
KF4GL@jimrhodes.net
W0GOM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2002, 12:06:08 PM »

I have a Garmin III+ that can display grid squares. It's a menu selection and displays all six charactors. Garmin has recently released a new unit, a V, so there might be III+ units available at reasonable cost.

On the Garmin web site you can download software updates for their units, so the units age shouldn't be an issue.

NR1SS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2002, 04:22:04 PM »

IMO, Garmin is a good choice.  I've used a GPS III+ available for around 250USD.  They do give UTC and can be setup for (Maidenhead) grid squares.  You might want to consider the serial output format if you want to connect to a TNC.  Garmin uses NMEA-183 which is probably what you want.  All mfgs do not output NMEA strings.  Garmin also supports an external/remote antenna on some of their models (GPS III+) but not on the smaller hand-helds.  Having a remote antenna may be useful because there are more options for mounting locations.  Check the website for the models and features and on-line comparison to help make a decision.  Best -- David (i have no financial interest in garmin or any other GPS mfg/supplier).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: