Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking Sailing Hams for Advice  (Read 347 times)
KC8UHM

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2002, 05:52:59 AM »

I am in the process of setting up a station aboard our sailboat and am having problems making decisions about which way to go and what to buy. I am interested in hearing from hams who have equiped their sailboats with Pactor I or II and have used it with the WinLink system.

What radio do you have; what laptop computer do you use; which Pactor system do you use; what antenna do you have; and what did you do for a grounding?

Do you have any problems with what you have:  Do you have any recommendations?

Would greatly appreciate any helpful advice.
Thanks.
KA4WJA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2002, 05:26:59 PM »

Muriel,
I have the answers to your questions, but there are so many variables to discuss, it isn't practical to do it all here on eham.

There is no e-mail address listed for you.....I was going to send you my phone# in order to discuss the details.....instead you can contact me at:

KA4WJA@starband.net

We'll go from there......

John,   KA4WJA

W7BWT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2002, 03:52:43 PM »

The last guy is right, but: I use an insulated backstay (about 63 feet long), a Gateway laptop, an SCS PTC II, a ICOM marine radio (for sailmail), a Yaesu ham radio (for Winlink), a SGC auto antenna tuner and sinter plates for my rf ground.  I put out a really nice signal and the setup works great.  While off the Yucatan Peninsula I worked the northern US on SSB with 20 watts, and it sounded as clear as talking to them on the phone.  Email worked great.  If you want more specifics, let me know.  kk7om@nvbell.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: