Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SGC Radio on Sailboat  (Read 327 times)
W7BWT

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2002, 04:00:18 PM »

A friend of mine is having fits with his marine radio installation.  He's got a SGC with the remote head mounted at the nav station, the radio mounted about three feet aft of the head, and then the antenna tuner mounted about three feet aft of the radio, direclty below the insulated backstay.  His transmissions are garbled to the point you can't comprehend what he's saying.  He sent the rig back to SGC; they checked it out and said it's perfect.  During the phone conversation they mentioned that the rig needed to be at least 9 feet from the antenna tuner, otherwise there would be a lot of feed back or interference of some kind that would screw up his signal.

Has anyone heard of this probem?  In particular with SGC or ICOM (what he intends to replace the SGC with)?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2002, 05:33:50 PM »

SGC recommends they be separated, and this may be a fix. But...It sounds to me like the tuner is not properly grounded to the keel and/or grounding plate.

I'm assumming he's using the backstay for an antenna, which works well "IF" it is insulated correctly. And, it should be fed with the antenna tuner as close to the lower end of the stay as possible to minimize RFI.

On most sail boats (not all) the grounding plate is in the aft portion of the keel. Any connection between this plate and the antenna tuner should be as low impedance as possible (large, wide, thick, whatever).  

Hope this helps.

Alan, KØBG

K1WWI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2002, 08:09:49 AM »

You did not mention if this vessel has a source of AC current aboard. If the vessel is equipped with an INVERTER try shutting it down and then try the radio. There are a number of inverters that will  make a dogs breakfast out of your transmit audio. On a number of vessels this will also effect marine vhf fm as well.

Randy - K1WWI
(Captain USMM)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: