Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-1500M  (Read 1015 times)
IANEWBIE

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2002, 12:05:34 AM »

What is the best solution for an AC Adaptor for the Yaesu FT-1500M. I know someone has to have used this model on AC Power. I want to go with something economical, however short of buying an AC to DC adaptor, then buying a DC lighter power cord and wiring it that way, I'm not exactly sure what sort of adaptor I should buy. I hate to buy anything from radio shack, but I figured for something as simple as this it wouldn't hurt. Anyone have any ideas? Also, I am using some quick disconnects so that I can move from one vehicle to another or to the house.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2002, 08:32:15 AM »

My solution for my FT-1500M was to go to RS and buy their 10Amp, 13.8VDC, regulated PS.

Dennis - KG4RUL
KC8AXJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2002, 08:44:51 AM »

Normally the best (proper) way to power a 2M mobile is going DIRECT to the battery. These radios will draw 10-15 amps,on high power,depending on model/brand.
I see your 1500 draws 8 amps so I would think getting power form your cigarette (power) plugs should work fine. Buy a good grade plug WITH A FUSE that will handle that 8 amps and wire it with no smaller than 14 gage wire.

Steve  
KC8AXJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2002, 08:50:35 AM »

I forgot to add, if you have a "cigar lighter" plug  on your power supply in the house, then you can just plug into that as you do in the vehicles without having to have connectors on the radio wire as well.
Basicly I mean ALL your connections are "cigar lighter plug" to "Cigar lighter plug".

Steve
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2002, 09:13:24 AM »

Accessory outlets, sometimes referred to as cigarette lighter receptacles, should never be used to power any ham rig. The plugs for these outlets are notorious for their lack of contact integrity. With few exceptions, these outlets are rated at 10 or 15 amps, and although they are showing up more and more especially in pickup trucks and SUVs, you are asking for trouble when you use them.

The reason? Probably too numerous to mention on this forum, but here is a few: Extra electrical noise, too small of wire feeding it, poor contact area, prone to shorting, etc. etc.

Alan, KØBG

KC8AXJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2002, 10:21:30 AM »

With all the liabilities on auto manufactures these days, I beg to differ with the “quality
Factor” question of their manufacture.  I have a Dodge Durango (SUV) with said “Power Port” which has a cover labeled “20AMP”. Per the manual, this port can be USED TO POWER …… 12V 20 Amp.

I guess I’m being misled and Chrysler doesn’t know what there talking about??

Granted, there is a limit here but the poor guy just wants 8 amps as easy as possible.
Check your circuit fuse,(probably at least 15 amp.) check the wire size in vehicles in question.

No sarcasm, just debating.
Steve

IANEWBIE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2002, 03:48:19 PM »

Wow, I wasn't aware that I was going to start the debate that I did. However, since it's here, here are my two cents worth. While I am new to amateur radio, I have been around automobile electrics for a while now. Here is my opinion on the "Cigarette Lighter Debate". While a power source is a power source, the cgarette lighter plugs have springy connectors that can lose their tension and cause problems that way. However, that's not really a big concern of mine, the reason I am not forgoing quick connects altogether and opting for a universal cigarette lighter plug, is because I am very anal when it comes to vehicle installations and the quick connect allows for a much cleaner install where all of my wiring can be hidden. The reason I was staying away from the lighter plug for the house was not really because of quality concerns, but also due to asthetics and economics. I would have to have an AC to DC adapter, in addition to a cigarette lighter plug with a quick connect attached to it. I think the radio shack adapter that was suggested will be the route I go, the only difficulty I see with that is that they are sold to work in such things as portable cd players, etc, so they have the plug type adapter on the end, obviously I will have to cut this off, but then which one is pos and which one is neg? Smiley

Thanks,
Dan
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2002, 05:55:48 PM »

Adapter is spelled with an e, and the automobile manufacturers have electrical engineering departments who do not write the owners' manuals or the labels, and protest the way Marketing writes these all the time.

The "20A Accessory Outlets" always have a hidden disclaimer that the 20A rating is for occasional use, that anything plugged in should be safety fused for hazard protection, etc.  If the wiring all melts, it's not their problem as long as that didn't start a fire, and it won't, because the materials used are non-flammable.  It's still not a good idea to use these outlets or their mating connectors at 20A other than for the very intermittant duty for which they were originally designed -- to get a coil of nichrome very hot, very fast, to light a cigarette.

WB2WIK/6
KC8AXJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2002, 11:55:29 AM »

O.K.,I lost the fight on that one !! HI HI

Steve
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2002, 06:31:43 AM »

This thread REALLY made a wrong turn!  The original request for information was:

"What is the best solution for an AC Adaptor for the Yaesu FT-1500M. I know someone has to have used this model on AC Power."

The operative words here are "AC Adaptor".

While the information on cigarette lighter plugs, etc. was useful, it was not what the writer asked for.

Read before you reply!

Dennis - KG4RUL
AB8OJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2002, 01:19:28 PM »

Yeah, in the spirit of getting back on track...

The long and short of it is, you're going to need something to convert AC power to DC, that can handle over 8 amps.  The "wall wart" sort of adapter is thus ruled out (they can't handle that much current).

The RS 10A regulated supply, already mentioned, is what I have used for my FT-1500M, with no problems.  It does have a cigarette-lighter socket, but also has lugs where wires can be attached directly.

However -- if you plan on continuing with ham radio for a while, and you have the funds, you may want to consider buying a "shack-sized" power supply, that can power your future equipment as well as the FT-1500.  I am quite pleased with my Diamond switching power supply...it's compact, fairly light, and quiet (both RF-wise and ear-wise).  Many other brands and models are out there.

-Ed-
AD0AC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2002, 10:01:30 PM »

I run an Astron SS-30 25 amp max power supply with my Icom 737 at the shack. Good power, built-in fan. Costs about $120 but it's a great value. You shouldn't have a problem running your 1500M off of one of these.

Also, most people haven't noted this, but I'm all for buying new power supplies. Yeah, you can get something ten years old for half the price, but clean power to your radio is something everyone should take seriously. Especially if you've invested in a modern, quality rig like your Yaesu. Buying a new, well-manufactured power supply is the first brick in your shack's foundation.

BTW, I don't work for a radio shop, or Astron. I just wanted to share my 2 cents.
AB8JC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2002, 08:46:25 AM »

I have used a Samlex 1223 power supply with my FT-1500.  This unit provides 13.8V DC @ 23A continuous, which is overkill for the 50 Watt FT-1500.  You could use the next smaller model, the 1212, which provides 10A continuous, but you only save about $10, so I'd go with the 23A version.

Universal Radio (my local candy store) lists the 1223 at $89.95, and the 1212 at $79.95.

I have no RF hash on my unit.

HTH,

Steve AB8JC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: