Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HANDIE-TALKIE ANTENNAS  (Read 415 times)
KC5MT

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2002, 06:39:02 PM »

I just purchased an Icom IC-T90A multi-band handheld. I love it so far, tons of great features in a palm size radio. I am however concerned with sensitivity on Public Service bands. I have it setting next to a Bearcat handheld scanner. Both radios are using their supplied
rubber duckies and the Bearcat beats the socks off the Icom. I really hope a different antenna for the Icom will make up the difference. What would anyone suggest as a replacement. Any experience with the RD-98 from Premier? Thanks for your help.
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2002, 05:21:07 PM »

My bet would be that the difference is in the fact that the Icom is peaked for max performance in the ham bands .You could swap antennas and see if you observe a change , but I doubt you will see a nickel's worth of difference in any of the ducks .Short of hanging a j-pole from your ear , you'll just have to live with it.

Good luck, Russ,W5RB
KC5MT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2002, 08:26:47 PM »

Thanks Russ, you're probably right about the Icom being peaked for the ham bands. It does a fantastic job where it's intended for peak performance. The J-pole thing is interesting, especially as big as my ears are! Ha! I think I'll try an after market antenna anyway to see what happens. I'll submit a response with the results. By the way, this is really a super rig, being able to tune from the lower end of the B.C. band to 1 Gigahertz is really fun. Lots of territory there. Dwane
N9TGW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2002, 06:34:14 PM »

Although the Icom may be aligned for ham use, dont discount the antenna idea.
I own both a Yaesu VX-1R and an Icom Q7. There is no question that the Icom is a better reciever than the  Yaesu is ( sorry folks but the side to side  tests cant be  refuted) I found that if I swap the antennas around ( Icom's on the Yaesu and vice versa) the recieve comes up on the Yaesu ( but no where near the Icoms)and the Icoms is degraded. In fact with the antennas swapped like this the recieve is about equal on both radios. Incidentally when I compared the radios side by side they were using identical antennas and not the factory supplied sticks.

N9TGW
KD7SOZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2002, 04:35:11 PM »

I have a Kenwood G71a and it's more sensitive in the ham bands if I compare it to my Radio Shack pro-93 scanner.  Honestly though when I connect my HT to a 2.7 db gain antenna and my scanner to an all band antenna they're about equal.  Try spending 20$ on a new HT antenna.  You may be pleasantly surprised.

KC5MT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2002, 08:29:14 PM »

In response to my own question I purchased the RD-98 after market antenna from Pryme Radio Products for use on my IC-T90A handie. My opinion of the antenna? Absolutely fantastic!!! My recommendation? Throw away the supplied rubber duckie and get this antenna. Keep in mind it doesn't Xmit on 6 meters but it does a great job on 2 mtrs and 440 Mhz and has wonderful response on Public Service bands for scanning. It even does good on WWV 10 Mhz! This antenna is about 18 in. tall and only 1/16 in. thick and has an SMA connector. This makes it a perfect companion for the new shirt pocket radios. You hardly know it is there. Great performer and tough for outdoor use. Thanks also for all the comments and info sent to me. It all helps. Dwane
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: