Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna Mounting on a Jeep  (Read 1021 times)
WX4FOX

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2002, 04:39:21 PM »

Hi all,

Anyone have some advice on the best location to mount an antenna on a Jeep Wrangler? Obviously a roof mount is out, and a rear-bumper mounting puts a lot of sheet metal in close proximity to much of the whip.

I was thinking of a mirror-mount like truckers use for CBs, or maybe one of those cap-coupled window mounted ones... anyone have experience with this kind of setup?

BTW, this will be used on the 144 & 440 MHz bands.

Thanks!
WX4FOX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2002, 04:42:06 PM »

Of course, I could also have just read some more of this forum, where the answer presented itself.

My Bad...

WX4FOX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2002, 04:42:07 PM »

Of course, I could also have just read some more of this forum, where the answer presented itself.

My Bad...

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2002, 08:03:18 AM »

Why do you think a roof mount is out? Is this because your garage is low? Or is it because the roof is fiberglass? If it is the latter, there are antennas made for this exact purpose. If it is the former, stay away from glass mounted units as they are rather lossy. Mirror mount? Same thing.

Alan, KØBG

WX4FOX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2002, 10:05:54 AM »

Actually, I have the dual-top option, so sometimes the roof is fiberglass, and sometimes it is the soft-top.

I'm leaning towards the Firestick front-fender mount right now...
WX4FOX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2002, 10:05:55 AM »

Actually, I have the dual-top option, so sometimes the roof is fiberglass, and sometimes it is the soft-top.

I'm leaning towards the Firestick front-fender mount right now...
KB1HWQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2002, 10:39:56 AM »

I'm looking into the same thing for my 95 wrangler.
The spare tire bump stop is looking like a good option or I may go with a permanent side mount near the rear of the body tub. It's a challenge to find a good spot on a jeep.
KK7OY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2002, 02:41:46 PM »

I drive a 2000 Wrangler and I attached half a mirror mount with 2 hose clamps to the vertical portion of the rollbar right below the juncture with the overhead bar and the one going to the rear. I attached it on the driver's side for accessability. It's clamped right over the padding and I ran a short piece of wire to a rollbar screw close by for a ground. I've used a 10m Hamstick with this setup with much success. However, it won't work with the soft or hardtop up but works fine with no top or just a bikini. Being in Arizona a top is just an after-thought. Avoided at all costs!
I also purchased the Firestick front fender mount but decided against it because of metal flexing in the mounting area. But then again I usually operate stationary mobile so flexing shouldn't be a problem. No problem with the rollbar mount, though.
Also the bolts that hold the spare tire mount to the tailgate is another option. The same half mirror mount can be used there. You have to space out the spare tire because of a slight clearance problem.
I also have a 1 to 5 band(depending on how many resonators are attached) Spider antenna to try and also a Hamstick dipole up on a sectioned piece of 10' PVC pipe bunji'd to the vertical rollbar. All in the new year. Hope this helps.
-73 de Rudy-
"WW7AZ in the valley of the sun"
WX4FOX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2003, 11:56:27 AM »

Thanks for the info!

Anyone have experience using the front fender mount? Is deformation of the metal on the fender a problem? I would think it would be minimized with proper back-plate use, but would like to hear any real world experiences in this area...

If deformation is a problem, I'll probably go with a front bumper mount, which I was hoping to avoid....
PAUL613

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2003, 01:59:58 PM »

I'd stay far away from the Firestick fender mount, if I were you.
I've seen them do sonsiderable damage.....All the locals run CB's in their jeeps for trail communication.
I like my setup best.

It's a piece of 1/8" thick stainless steel, about 1.5" wider than one of your taillights, and about 2" longer.
Have the extra 2" of length bent 90 degrees, and then trim most of the 1.5" of extra width off of the bigger section.......Hard to picture, I know.
What you should end up with, is a right angle, where the bigger portion will go between the driver's side taillight and the and body, mounted with the 3 bolts that hold the light housing in place, and the smaller portion will form a horizontal shelf above the tail light, that extends a little wider, to the left of the tail light.....you drill a hole in the part that over hangs the light, and attach the antenna there.....there are also commercial versions available from Tera www.teraflx.com and another company called Turbo City.
Mine looks sort of like this one from Turbo City: http://www.murrah.com/jeep/cbant.jpg
but I prefer mine to have the horizontal part tight to the top of the light, as it's more stable, and the antenna mounting point is offset to the left to allow the cable to attach from below.
KF4FRK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2003, 08:07:00 PM »

I used the link below to install the antenna on the back of my 2001 Wrangler, it works like a champ!  As far as I am concerned, this is the ONLY way to go for mounting a 2m/440 on a Jeep.  For a radio, I am using a Yaesu FT-90, the mini dual-band, with remote mount.  I have the main unit mounted under the drivers seat, the control head on top of the steering column.  If you want further details/pics, drop me a line, I'll be happy to help out.  jg_robinson@hotmail.com

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/electrical/yaesu01/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: