Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mounting an antenna on a Neon  (Read 385 times)
KC0LPV

Ignore
« on: January 20, 2003, 11:49:50 PM »

Alright, one poster has already posted to the "Mopar Neon Install" thread with some info on this, and good info as well.

My specifica problems are this:  Sunroof and Spoiler.

I'll need to check how far back my sunroof travels, but it may be far enough to prevent me from using the roof as an antenna mount point.

On the deck lid, the factory spoiler is a *surfboard*.  Takes up half of the trunk surface area.  I have toyed with the idea of getting a used spoiler to match mine, and boring the antenna mounts into it (to preserve my OEM spoiler).  If I were to mount the antenna on the metal surface available on the trunk, the antenna will smack my roof and rear window as I open the trunk.

The other ideas that came to mind were a glass-mount antenna (this is feasable) and a bent-mount that would put the antenna mount over the rear fender (I've seen 'em on sherriff's cars).  Basically a piece of steel bent to make an "L bracket screwed into the trunk perimeter, going through the body seam, and the antenna mounts to there.  

I've also thought about using a hitch-mounted antenna, but I wouldn't want to leave it in all the time, and I do want the *radio* to be available all the time.

So, with my limited real estate on which to place the antenna, what should I do?

Thanks,

Jim
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2003, 09:02:03 AM »

Years ago I had a Dodge Dart with a factory sunroof which slid under the roof above the headliner. Besides leaking in the rain, it negated mounting an antenna in the center the roof. I ended up mounting it at the rear of the roof, about 6 inches in front of the rear glass. Although is was at a slight angle, it worked a-ok.

As for glass mounts, they're junk in my opinion.

Alan, KØBG

VE3IVM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2003, 06:54:40 PM »

Diamond K601 Hideaway trunk mount may be for you.
check out http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/k601.pdf

I have one on my Toyota Camry and a Diamond SG7500 dual bander on it. The antenna is always connected and it takes 10 sec to bring it to or down from operational position including opening the trunk and getting out and back in the car from the driver seat.

It may take some time to find a right position where to mount, so that the antenna does not get on your way when folded inside when you are putting something in your trunk, and the trunk lid does not hit the mount and closes properly. In my case because of Camry's trunk lid shape I had to fold down the rear seat and look from inside the car with the trunk lid closed to find a good spot.

Note that K601 is designed to work with antennas not requiring grounding, though this is possible to modify it a little and run a peace of ground strap (not a heavy one) to the inside of the trunk.
VE3IVM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2003, 08:17:52 PM »

Sorry, that was piece of ground strap, not peace.

Ivan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: