Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile in 2003 Ford Escape  (Read 340 times)
KC2HJN

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2003, 10:00:53 PM »

In my 2003 Ford Escape there are auxiliary power outlets in the dash and in the rear cargo area. The manual doesn't give any specs for these (maximum power draw, etc.). Does anyone have any experience with these. The manual says NOT to use the cig. lighter for accessories, to use the aux. outlets. I'm planning to put a FT100d in there and I am trying to find out if I can connect power to these outlets or will it be too much for them. Otherwise I'll have to go direct to the battery. The 100d draws about 23 amps at full power.
N0XAS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2003, 11:57:28 PM »

I haven't looked, but your owner's manual will tell you the fuse rating for those jacks.  I doubt very seriously you can pull 23A from one, and I'd be very leery of tryig to pull 20A+ through a lighter power plug too.  I don't think those contacts are rated for that kind of current.  I have always connected power wiring directly to the battery, or as close as possible under the hood.  Fords I have seen recently have nice tap points on the main fuse block.

Dale
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2003, 09:49:01 AM »

In a word or two: Don't use them for any load over about 10 amps or you're asking for problems. Going mobile is more than just laying a rig on the floor and hanging an antenna off the bumper if you want good results.

If you have time, read my articles on the subject here on eham.net (4407, 4424, 4425, and 4623).

Alan, KØBG

KC2HJN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2003, 09:37:44 PM »

Thanks for the responses...
I realize there is more to it than that, I was just wondering since it said don't use the cig lighter, to use the aux jack, that maybe they were rated higher than the cig lighter plug. I have found out that the 2 aux jacks are fused w/ 15 amp fuses each but I don't know if they are actually seperate lines or could you pull almost 30amp if you only use one. I would think that I can't do that but just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this particular vehicle. I also would only be transmitting on vhf/uhf since I don't yet have my general...and that would draw less power than the full 100w output on hf.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: