Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some help ID'ing a mobile radio  (Read 927 times)
KB5QPN

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2003, 12:32:01 PM »

I recently acquired a Motorola mobile radio that I cannot identify.  The model is DA3KX+067W, and the FCC number is ABZ89FT3732.  The only info I have been able to glean is via the FCC #, that tells me it is capable of opns from 136 - 174 mHz.  There is a port on the front of the radio for software access, channel selection is via the microphone, not sure how many channels are available.

Can anyone help?
Don
KB5QPN
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 02:17:07 PM »

There's another model number that will make it more clear, in the format like T34MJA9130AK.  There isn't any nameplate on it at all, like Syntor, Maxtrac, etc?

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
k5lxp@arrl.net
KB5QPN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2003, 09:23:53 AM »

The only numbers as they appear on the radio are as follows:

Model No.:  Da3DX+067w
ID No.:     D43KXA7JA3BK
Serial No.: 624atn0232

FCC No.:    ABZ89FT3732

I can find no other data plates on the radio.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2003, 02:53:03 PM »

Hmm. Sounds like a Spectra.  Is it a black or brown case?  LED or LCD Display?

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
k5lxp@arrl.net
KB5QPN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2003, 03:13:12 PM »

The case is brown in color, the channel display is located in the mic, comes up in red.  The mic has a volume control, a window marked MON, another window that appears to display BUSY, OPR, Pri, AND Scn.  Below that are 3 switches, first two spring loaded to center, UP - DN,  H/L - SCN, ON - Off.
Does that help?  also the mic has model no. HCN1054A

Don
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2003, 04:33:59 PM »

Yep, that's a remote control Spectra.  Nice radio, and readily programs into the ham band.  Sometimes they are customized as far as radio firmware to a particular customer, but they are typically 128 mode radios, 136-174MHz.  Programming is accomplished by connecting a cable to the front and running special software on a PC through an interface.  I use an A7 spectra in my truck, I especially like it's multiple priority scan features.  You need an A7 or A9 (X9000) head to take advantage of some of the radio's more advanced features but they are nice radios no matter what the flavor.  The remote control versions were especially popular with the feds, for surveillance and undercover cars.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
k5lxp@arrl.net
KB5QPN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2003, 09:59:56 AM »

Mark,
Thanks for the info.  Based on your reply and ID of  the radio, I was able to find Batwinglabs.com, and a wealth of information on the Spectra.  Now all I have to do is find a radio shop with the Motorola RSS pkg to get it reprogrammed.
Again, Thanks!!
Don
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2003, 12:41:58 PM »

Don't be suprised to find a commercial shop charging upwards of $75 for the service.  Your best bet is to find a sympathetic ham that works at one, or perhaps another ham with connections to the interface and software.  Don't change your mind about the channel assignments too often, at $75 a whack you can quickly approach the cost of a new 2M rig that can program directly from the front panel.  They are great rigs as base stations or mobile if you don't move around too much, requiring changing freq's and PL's.  Mode names, phone number and scan lists can be changed directly though.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
k5lxp@arrl.net
KB5QPN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2003, 01:39:24 PM »

I just talked with a local Tech, also a Ham, who will reprogram it for $50.  He said until he gets it on the computer he can't tell for sure how many 2mtr freqs can be programmed, said there are some Spectras that can proged for up to 99 channels.  Time will tell, from what I have been able to discern, 16 is the max, but he insisted more is possible.

I have two, gave one to a collegue who has offered to pay for the reprog in return for the radio.  Will make a good addition to my travel trailer and my HT.  

I really do thank you, your info has made this train move faster!!
dw

KC6TSR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2003, 01:57:52 AM »

Try "All Points Communications" In Kerrville Texas the head tech there is Cal cant remember his call but he may be willing to help with the RSS.
KB5QPN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2003, 02:57:15 PM »

Mark,
Just thought I would update you on my progress with the Spectras.  They have both been reprogrammed, $50 each, and will be installed soon.  Do you know of any sources for a users manual?  I have surfed the net to no avail for a manual.
Don KB5QPN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: