Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who makes a sturdy trunk lip antenna mount?  (Read 1068 times)
AA8RF

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2003, 10:15:40 PM »

I have used the MFJ heavy duty unit and it works but I world like something a bit beefier.

Any suggestions?

-Jim
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2003, 08:53:15 AM »

Beefier? I suspect any other trunklip mount you could buy wouldn't be any better than what you have. Depending upon the antenna in question; either mount it with a good-quality ballmount of NMO mount.

Alan, KØBG

KJ9A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 03:14:48 PM »

I had the MFJ lip mount but thought it was too flimsy.  Ended up with a Diamond K400 with 3/4 thread.  Works great with my hamsticks (use a 40lb testline guy).  Worked all over the world last weekend  during the WPX and broke many a pileup.  I plan to mount a Lil Tarheel on it this weekend.  

Regards,

Jim
N2OBY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 06:57:54 AM »

Definitely look at the Diamond K400 series.  The different models acommodate different antenna bases (UHF, NMO, 3/8").  They are similar in desgin to the MFJ, but substantially "beefier" while the superior workmanship and quality are evident as soon as you hold it.

I'm using one on my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 to mount a Diamond SG7900 dual-band antenna (62").  I've configured the mount to attach it to the bottom edge of the hood where it meets the fender.  No problems whatsoever - it's plenty strong and the variable configuration allows more mounting options (like mine) than you would expect.  I just check it every so often to ensure that the set screws are still nice and tight.

It's not cheap - I paid $69.00 for mine at the local amateur radio shop; but like the old adage states, "You get what you pay for."

Ken N2OBY
AA8RF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2003, 08:46:39 PM »

Thanks guys, the MFJ looked decidedly medium duty to me despite it's name. I will order a diamond. Now to look for a place on-line where I can get a good price.

-Jim
AA8RF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2003, 01:11:56 PM »

If you do not need the wire and connector, the mount is only $36 which is a lot cheaper. I used a $2 stud mount with the MFJ instead of theirs anyway so this actually costs the same for my application.

-Jim
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2003, 03:00:09 PM »

I second the motion by N2OBY, I have two of the Diamond K400 series, one in the 3/8-24 flavor which sports a 40m hamstick, and another in NMO configuration which carries an SG7900 dual-band collinear on my Jeep Cherokee.

Expensive yes, but well made, high quality and durable.

A few installation recommendations:

Apply a dab of Penetrox where the set screws will penetrate the painted surfaces to establish ground to the hatchback, before hunkering down the screws, to prevent rusting.

After hunkering down the screws apply green wicking Loctite 290 to the screws, to prevent them loosening from vibration - essential on an off-road vehicle!

If running HF, loop the mini-coax pigtail a couple of turns through a large ferrite core, and secure with a cable tie as close to the feedpoint as possible.

Before applying the little "peel & stick" cable tie anchors in routing the mini-coax, clean the vinyl interior where the pads will be located with some 000 steel wool and mineral spirits to ensure it bonds well to the vinyl.  Works with Velcro too.

AA8RF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2003, 11:58:09 AM »

The 400 looks very similar to the MFJ. But is is FAR better made (I have 2 of the MFJs). In fact, it looks like one ripped off the design of the other.

I hope to get it on this weekend. Thanks for the install tips. I never depend on the little screws for a good ground - I have a big honkin' braided cable going straight to the body for that.

I think I will use the MFJ for a 5/8 wave 2m or dual band antenna since that has a lot less load than my screwdriver.

-Jim
K3WVU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2003, 08:16:20 PM »

The Diamond K-400 is outstanding.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: