Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help with Impalla Setup  (Read 463 times)
KD5TXX

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2002, 09:48:41 AM »

Hello, I will be switching from my Intrepid to a 2003 Impalla next month.  This is a Company car so I cant mount anything Permanantly, or that will leave obvious marks.  I need ideas on where to mount my radio.  It is a Icom 2350 so it's not the detachable face just regular vhf-uhf.  I know that lots of police use these cars but they can drill holes.  I haven't ordered it yet so the seats could be bench or bucket.  Any help would be appreciated.

Ed
KD5TXX
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2002, 09:08:43 AM »

Personally, I never worried about whether it was a company car or not. Once I got through with it, it was strickly a wholesaler.

Mag mount antennas are available from everyone it seems, so suit yourself. As for the mounting, DO NOT use velcro or bungie cords?safety first always!

There are several companies who make mobilephone mounts including the ones that bolt to the floor. Once removed, and the carpet refluffed, you can hardly tell they were there.

Alan, KØBG

N2MDB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2002, 11:57:39 PM »

Being an Impalla, you will have an easier time finding mounts that are used in police cars. I would say try Galls (www.galls.com) and see if they have any mounts for a 2003 Impalla that bolt to the seat bolts. On Crown Vics, these have flanges that go between the seat and the floor, using the seat bolts...no new holes. All depends on how much money you are willing to spend. Also you could try a commercial 2-way radio shop in your area and find out what they use for Impallas...or if any local PDs have them, take a peak in the window.
VE2CU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2003, 11:55:41 AM »

Hi Ed,
If you're a non smoker, have you considered replacing the ashtray with the radio? Just unscrew the ashtray assembly, tuck it away in the house & when ready to trade-in, screw the assembly back on. There's a nice steel plate holding the ashtray assembly that you can use to secure your radio. This setup also makes the radio a bit more secure against theft. When parked for a while, I always disconnect the mike and put it away in the glove compartment. Hope this works & 73,

Michel  VE2CU  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: