The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HT Antenna Recommendations  (Read 1014 times)
KC8VTS

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2003, 04:44:16 PM »

Looking for recommendations for a mag mount mobile antenna to use with my HT.  Have looked at MFJ and some others, but looking for what is working out in the field.

Just received my first HT to go along with my new ticket and looking to make the best of my initial gear.

Thanks for the input.

Bill
KC8VTS
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2003, 05:36:54 PM »

You didn't say which band(s), but hard to beat the Larsen mag-mount VHF/UHF antennas.  For one, the mag base and the whips themselves are available separately, so you can mix/match whatever you need.  For another, the Larsen magnetic mounts are excellent quality, very strong and have made some attempt to avoid paint scratching -- although continued use of any sort of mag mount almost assures scratched paint, eventually.

Remember, mag mounts are intended and designed for *temporary* use, not permanent use.

WB2WIK/6
KC8VTS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2003, 06:34:08 PM »

Sorry about omitting band intention.  2 Meter primarily and ocasionally 70 cm, depending on the particular net that I am working with.  Will be packing in my bags for travel since I need to carry the rig to various car rallies.  HT is the best option since I also need to carry the radio in my "roll-over" bag.

Will check into your suggestions and any others.

KC8VTS (Bill)
KC0OXM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2003, 04:35:53 PM »

Here's another vote for the Larson 2m/70cm mag mount.  I have a 5w HT and consistantly am told from folks how suprised they are that I'm coming into the repeaters so strong based on my power and location.

I just picked up a Workman 2m/70cm Mag mount for $10 at a recent hamfest, but haven't had a chance to compare it to  the larson yet.  
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 02:09:55 PM »

An inexpensive option which works quite well is the Lakeview www.hamstick.com economy dual-band mag mount.  This is an 18" cellular look-alike with the "pigtail squiggle" in the center, with 3" mag mount and coax.  I carry one in the "go kit" as a spare antenna and it is very broad banded on both VHF and UHF.  VWSR is 1.5:1 or less across the FM voice bands on both ham bands, and no worse than 2:1 if you do outside the amateur bands for Marine VHF, MURS, GMRS, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: