The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2m Antenna Mount for a Jeep  (Read 5893 times)
N5KEX

Ignore
« on: November 14, 2002, 09:01:19 PM »

Any suggestions for a mobile antenna mount for a Jeep Wrangler?
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2002, 09:27:50 PM »

Check the Firestik site here , there are a couple of mounts specifically for Jeep toward the bottom of the page .http://www.alfenterprises.com/antenna_mounts.htm

Russ,W5RB
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2002, 08:57:55 AM »

My questions are: How serious are you? Are you willing to drill holes? Is this a permanent installation or just a vacation thing? Do you intend to run high power?

Surfing around this forum will get you answers no matter which way you answer the above questions. As with any ham radio subject, ask 100 hams and you'll get 100 different answers.

Alan, KØBG

N5KEX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2002, 01:31:48 PM »

Drilling holes is not a problem since this will be the permanent mount for the rig.
KB9YNB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2002, 11:48:47 AM »

What year Jeep wrangler is it?  Does it have the bumpstop that keeps the tailgate from swinging out past the body of the vehicle?  I know that the wrangler/cj had this from 80-96, but can't remember if the tj's have them or not.  

Most people just drill a hole in the top of this bump-stop and use a thru-hole mount.  I've also seen brackets made that go behind the spare tire and just to the side of the HMSL (High mount stop lamp) to mount the antenna in the middle of the vehicle.

AB8JC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2002, 09:43:32 AM »

TJs don't have the tailgate bump-stop.

Teraflex and others make some nice mounts that go between the tub and the taillights (either side is available but they are not interchangeable).  The Firestik mount is good if you want it up front.

Check out Jeeps Unlimited.  This is a recurring thread on the Wrangler forum there (well, they usually are talking about 11M antennas, but a mount is a mount!). http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums

One fella on there just drilled a hole in the front driver's side fender and stuck a dual-band antenna in there.  http://www.stu-offroad.com

Or get a roof rack and mount it WAY up high!
N0NQF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2002, 08:14:31 PM »

i have two ideas on 2m antenna's on wranglers one is athttp://www.qsl.net/n7qjp/Wrangler/Mobile7.htm and the other is in a picture, write me and i'll send you the picture, easy to create if you weld, sturdy and a must for 'no holes' mount.  write me if you have any suggestions.
N5KEX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2002, 08:34:14 AM »

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I mounted the radio in a Tuffy Overhead Console between the two front seats and used a Larsen Antenna mounted above the passenger side tail light. 73s
KJ5WO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2002, 08:32:41 PM »

Go to Rosser Jeep and order the Steel Horse off road light brackets for the windshield hindges.  They bolt right on with no holes drilled. You get one for each side.  You will have to hog out the mount just slightly to fit a SO-235 mount through it but they work great.  Hope it helps
73's Rick...
N0NQF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2003, 11:00:42 AM »

firestick makes a mount for the jeep TJ, probably adaptable to Ham, I don't understand how it connects, anyone got a picture of it? JEEP "TJ" WRANGLER SUPER-DUTY BUMPER MOUNT MINI-KIT Model: MK-TJ18R.
KF4FRK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2003, 08:10:11 PM »

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/electrical/yaesu01/

Works great on my 2001 Wrangler.  The drilling was very easy, and it is no problem to run the cable up to the rig.

Good luck and enjoy.
WB7UNI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2003, 11:03:10 AM »

I build an antenna mount for Wranglers.  Its made of solid US steel, REQUIRE NO DRILLIN, painted with RustOLeum paint.  I also make a double mount that is perfect for running 2 bands or a HAM and CB.

The single mount can be found on EBay.  Item number 2415349133.

If you want the double, email me and I'll post it on Ebay for you.

Rick
Wb7UNI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: