The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual Band Truck Antenna  (Read 968 times)
KF4MNC

Ignore
« on: December 23, 2002, 11:40:47 PM »

I recently purchased the Icom IC2720H Dual Band radio and am in the process of searching for a new antenna to go with it. I Have a Toyota tacoma truck and I do not want to drill any holes in the truck and do not particulary care for maganetic mount antennas. But I do however have a truck box, and was wondering about mounting an antenna to it? For instance using a gutter-mount or lip mount (over the edge of the box have the lid close down over it style) I was wondering if anyone had tried this or had any ideas about doing this, or any other ideas that might work. The only concern I had for using that style antenna with a truck box would be a ground? Or is that not an issue?

Any Help would be Appricated!

73's
KF4MNC
chris
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2002, 09:42:25 AM »

Larsen makes a good quality, NMO type dual band antenna and a variety of mounts. Since you are unwilling to drill holes, just about anything will do. Maybe you should think about drilling the tool box.

Alan, KØBG

K9FTB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2003, 07:11:37 PM »

I just replaced a Larsen trunk lip mount antenna that was completely rusted. I purchased it a local hamfest last June '02. I was really disappointed in the quality. I guess I expected the metal to be rust free or coated or something. That's why the TL mount was $29. I replaced it with a Diamond K600 which is all stainless steel and is visually much heavier duty. The price is also nearly 2X the Larsen. Diamond has a number of mounts (same a Larsen) that may meet your needs. I would suggest looking for the words "stainless steel" or "rust free" in the description. I didn't see many Diamond antennas that were stainless either, but the mount (K600 is).

Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: