The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-706MK2G HF Mobile antenna  (Read 1712 times)
KB1HBS

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2003, 12:54:40 AM »

I’m in the market for a HF+6 Mobile antenna for my Icom 706-MK2G. Any recommendations besides the IC-AH2B?
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 07:36:51 AM »

YOu have a few routes to go. Get the AH4 and a whip and tune it. Get a scrwdriver antenna and tune it or get one of the fixed freq antenna and screw in or plug in the band you want.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 09:14:48 AM »

You don't need the expensive unit Icom sells, as a stainless steel whip works just as well. Properly mounted, the combination of AH-4 and whip work very well and in fact better than a lot of others you could use.

It will tune 75 if you add a small loading coil into the mix, but results are mixed. On 40 meters it is a couple of db lower than a good quality monoband antenna, and 20 and up you'll never notice the difference. Fact is, on 6 there is a slight gain.

The biggest advantage is tuning speed. Worse case it is still under 4 seconds from any one band or frequency to another.

The only caveat is, the tuner MUST BE mounted as close to the base of the whip as possible (one foot is the max length). And don't use coax between the tuner and antenna.

Alan, KØBG

WD8LQB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 10:42:46 AM »

I have been using a set of mobile whips from ATOC Iron Horse.  The IHF5S pack of 5 whips for 75 meters thru 10 meters and the quick connect kit IHK3DS have worked well for me.  I have a three magnet mount on the top of my Mercury Villager van.  I have had really good results with the 20 meter whip.  I have had DX contacts with strong signal reports back from in Russia, England,  and Lithuania without much effort.  I chose these antennas due to the low cost (about $70-$80 for all the antennas).  I have used the 40 meter whip and have made good contacts in the U.S.  I have not tried the 80 meter, 10 or 15 meter whips yet.

One drawback is having to stop to change whips for each band, but the antennas are great for the cost conscious (like me).

If you want to spend more money, I am sure some others can recommend a fine screwdriver type antenna.  I hope this helps.
WA9PIE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2003, 01:19:36 PM »

I'm using a Yaesu ATAS-100 (now 120) and working Japan to Eastern Europe with it.  Works fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: