Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ignition noise  (Read 527 times)
AC2RC

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2003, 07:37:38 AM »

I am setting up mobile HF in a new 2003 F 150 truck. Most of the noise (S7) comes from the ignition (coil pack or ATI ?) of the 6 cyl. Is there some way that I can shield it ?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2003, 09:06:53 AM »

You can use split beads (mix 43) over the control wires of both the coil pack(s) and injectors.

The latest iteration of this engine uses a coil pack at each sparkplug. The assembly already has a ferrite core and a small coil to minimize RFI. Here again, beads are your only hope.

You can also try beads over the plug wires themselves. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

The hood should be ground straped on both sides as should the exhaust and the other body parts.

Alan, KØBG

AC2RC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 08:44:08 PM »

Alan, the 6 cylinder does not have the coil on plug it must be the 8 s that have it. Thanks for the suggestions  I'll keep working at it.
KC0GUK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2003, 09:04:12 AM »

AC2RC,

Let me know if you come up with anything on this.  I have been battling this problem on my V-6 Ford for 3 years now.  
The only thing so far that has helped somewhat was the fuel pump kit from Ford and snipping the ground wire for the pump and connecting as close to the pump as possible.  That was for the fuel pump noise, now trying to get rid of ignition noise.  So bad, it is on 2 meter FM.  

KC0GUK
AB8JC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 02:46:19 PM »

Are you sure it's ignition noise and not the fuel pump?  Fords are notorious for noisy fuel pumps (Ford sells a noise-suppression kit that is installed INSIDE the fuel tank).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: