Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Handheld Radio Pet Peve's  (Read 390 times)
VE3TRU

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2003, 04:53:59 PM »

You Know I bought a VX5R radio and it is great but...
The radio has way to many features, It has so many things built in it you spend hours trying to figure them out. Now here's the thing that drives me crazy,"Why cant they build a radio with side band?." Then I might even be able to use the 6m the comes with it.
K7IHC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2003, 02:32:31 AM »

Yes, it seems like a majority of the dual/tri/quad band VHF/UHF radios these days have *too* many features and functions.  The less expensive single band and dual band radios have fewer features, so that's an option for those who want a simpler unit.

The two main limiting factors on hand-held VHF/UHF radios are the power supply and antenna.  6m is a band that needs a good antenna, and a little rubber duckie antenna doesn't really cut it.  Also, the power supply (battery) on most H/Ts doesn't last too long under full (4-5 watts) RF power output.  For 6m SSB use, I'd get a nice multi-mode base/mobile radio and set up a good antenna.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 09:40:29 AM »

This is the exact reason I refuse to rid myself of my Tempo S1. It maybe nearly 30 years old, but it does the trick with out all of the geegaws. The hardest part was installing a sub-audible tone board.

Alan, KØBG

AB8JC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 04:45:09 PM »

"Why cant they build a radio with side band?"

FT-817 is pretty close....  So are the Mizuhos, but they are monobanders.  Kenwood TH-F6 is close too.... give 'em a few more years.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 05:39:40 PM »

Remember that "adding SSB" to any transceiver, hand-held or not, is a lot more involved than adding a mode switch, and a great deal more expensive.

Because SSB requires all linear stages for both transmission and reception, the mode is more of a power hog than FM, which can use all saturated stages.  The filters are more expensive, and noise reduction can be a big problem (while a very minor problem with FM, which is inherantly noise-cancelling by its detection method).  

Small SSB rigs have been built, but they cost more than FM rigs do.  I'm sorry that Icom stopped production of the old IC-202, IC-402 and IC-502 (2m, 70cm and 6m mono-band, hand-held SSB/CW rigs from 20+ years ago) prematurely, because they were truly great!  And although they were huge power hogs, it almost didn't matter because their internal battery packs were huge (and heavy), and lasted a whole day between charges...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: