Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 17 meter mobile antenna suggestions?  (Read 571 times)
K3TD

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2003, 11:45:46 AM »

I will soon have my FT-100D installed in the Jeep. In the past I have operated primarily 6 and 10 meters, but want to add 17 to the mix as well. Can anyone recommend a 17 meter antenna that can be adapted to work with an NMO Motorola-style 3/4" permanent hole mount, so that I can use the same mount on the roof that I use for 10 and 6? I am wondering if someone makes an adapter to use a 3/8" x 24 antenna like a Hamstick with a 3/4" permanent mount, or if there is a better way to go.

Thanks in advance and 73,

Tad Danley, K3TD
EM10dq
AB8JC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 04:43:38 PM »

They do make NMO to 3/8"x24tpi adapters, and this with a Hamstick-type antenna would be the cheapest & easiest way to go.

Seems like it may take a beating on top of the roof, though.  Hope you live in the wide-open spaces!

What model Jeep?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 05:36:40 PM »

Six meters maybe okay, 10 meters is okay, but 17 meters is just about out for an NMO mount. Yes, you can use it, and maybe get by with a hamstick like the previous poster stated. But any antenna the NMO would successfully support will not be very efficient.

Alan, KØBG

K3TD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 10:53:15 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I will try the adapter and see how it goes with a Hamstick for 17 meters.  At least I know from previous experience I will be fine with base loaded 10 and 6 meter antennas.  The Jeep is a 2003 Grand Cherokee Overland.

Tad Danley, K3TD
EM10dq
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: