Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Triple magmount on '02 Intrepid roof?  (Read 352 times)
AD5HD

Ignore
« on: July 04, 2003, 07:29:13 PM »

About to dive into mobile HF and it looks like the cheapest and easiest way might be with a triple magmount and hamsticks, quick disconnects, ez-over, etc., apply as needed.  Yeah, it won't be perfect but it'll work and that's all I'm really after with op on 17&20m, maybe 40m using the ez-over as an attempt at NVIS.  But, the thing I see as the biggest problem is that the roof of the Intrepid is nowhere near flat and the multi-magnet mounts won't allow for this, I think, the magnets being rigidly bolted to the cross members.  Anybody out there have some advice on this?  I'm thinking the solution may be to loosen the screws a bit to allow the magnets to swivel enough to get a good grip on the roof and then tighten them up enough to make the platform solid.  Would probably have to use some green locktite, too.  All comments welcome.

TNS es 73,
Pete, AD5HD
KA5S

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 08:27:39 PM »

You can get nylon washers, and grind one side at an angle, to shim the magnets to the right angle for the part of the roof you use.  Another way is to grind two such washers for each magnet, put the ground-down sides next to each other, so that by rotating them relative to each other you can change the angle their outside faces describe. This shortens the time it takes to set up the mount.

Cortland
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2003, 11:13:11 PM »

Also guy the antenna.  My triple magnet mount with Hustler antenna came off my Dodge Stratus roof at 70mph.  At the time, I had three resonators on it but even one might have caused a problem since the roof is curved.  I'm going to move it all to the trunk lid, which is flat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: