Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jeep Wrangler  (Read 484 times)
AK1O

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2003, 10:01:58 PM »

I've tried a mag mount but it scratched the paint.  I can't find a lip mount that works because the hood has a lip of it's own.  

I'm just about ready to bite the bullet and install a chrome ball mount on the body side aft of the rear fender. Before I drill, does anyone have another solution?  

TKs & 73

TONY AK1O
AK1O

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 10:04:00 PM »

I should mention, I'm using the antenna for an APRS tracker so I need something with gain -- better that a glass mount.

Tks Agn

Tony
KB9YNB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 12:07:12 AM »

Tony,
  Since there isn't a good flat surface on a wrangler to mount an antenna on, either homebrew a bumper mount, or  I think someone makes a mount for the rear gate bumpstop.  

Actually, I remember saying almost these exact words a few months ago.  Look through the old posts in this forum, and there is already a "Jeep Wrangler antenna mount" thread.

later,
  kb9ynb
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2003, 09:13:29 AM »

Drill the hole, already! The difference in performance varies, but one thing is for sure; properly mounting an antenna will greatly affect its efficiency.

Alan, KØBG

AK1O

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 10:50:22 AM »

Thanks Ryan,
I did a search on "Jeep" and "Wrangler" with no results. When I tried on "Jeep Wrangler" I got the
info.

Tks Agn

Tony AK1O
KB9YNB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2003, 11:00:24 AM »

Alan,

The reason I advocate for a bumper or bumpstop mount on a wrangler is that a sidemount won't last very long on any "properly used" :^) Jeep.  It will be torn off by a rock, or a tree branch, or God willing, both.

This is why the orignial Jeeps had mirrors that could swing forwards or backwards so that they wouldn't get caught on something.  

It's also good to have something that isn't going to be "permanent" like drilling a hole into the fender.  Most Jeep owners are constantly upgrading, modifying, and otherwise improving their jeeps. Having a good, solid bumper mount that can be removed so that a new bumper and tire carrier can be installed is a huge plus.  Also, the antenna and mount will endure much higher stresses due to vibration and "hard knocks" than a regular on-road vehicle, and so may need to be removed regularly for cleaning, inspection, and adjustment.  The antenna may also need to be moved around to find a place that is better proteced, or less in the way.

Just because he's not drilling a hole doesn't mean he can't make a good, solid, well grounded mounting point for his antenna.  My 1/2 wave 2m antenna mounted to my homebrew bumper mount on my CJ7 gets out rather well.  Of course, it gets out better to stations behind my vehicle better than in front of my vehicle.  But, it is also behind the hard top and doesn't get caught on too many branches or rocks.

I understand your (sometimes militant :^) position about good, solid, grounded mobile installations.  I'm advocating the same thing, but in a way that will likely work better in a Jeep.

Of course, if this is a mamby-pamby-never-been-off-road-because-I-spend-all-my-time-at-the-carwash Jeep, drill the freekin hole. :^)

In conclusion, always make a good, strong, solid, well grounded mobile installation. In a jeep, mount the antenna in a well protected area. Also, get one of those overhead consoles to mount your radio in.  You may find yourself someday with water up to your lap.  You will want your radio mounted high in this situation. (because submerged speakers are really, really hard to hear.)

Cheers,
  KB9YNB
N7UAM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2003, 05:46:59 AM »

Amen, Brother!!!
Reference jeeps and carwashes, My old Scout 80 had scratches a quarter inch deep down the sides, from driving thru the buckbrush to reach fallen dirtbikers, wandering around on firebreaks, and similar (borderline insane) activities.
My antenna mount at that time, was the old chrome ballmount, and a 106 inch c.b. whip cut to the proper length for the radio.
73's,
N7UAM
Kevin
p.s. if you mount the antenna too high, (like the c.b. whip, watch out for the overhead flourescents<grin>
AK1O

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2003, 09:59:24 PM »

Bro's,

I think I have the solution.  I brought an antenna
mount from QuadraTec that installs behind the tail light.  I'm going to install it first thing tomorrow and give it a try.  I like it cause the coax can be routed thru the grommet where the tail light wires go. Thanks for all the help.

Tony

P.S. I need an 2M antenna that doesn't need a ground plane right?
KB9YNB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2003, 10:23:00 PM »

Quadratec.  I just knew you were a real jeep guy.  Good luck with the mount.

The antenna I have is a Diamond 1/2 wave.  I also have a 5/8 wave dualbander from Diamond.  I've found them to be pretty good antennas.  Both of them claim they are ground-independent designs, for whatever that's worth. (generally, not much)  The 1/2 wave antenna is really flexy and always bounces back to it's orginal shape, even when it's bent over pretty far.

Enjoy,
KB9YNB
RYAN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2003, 08:15:26 PM »

Tony go ahead and drill the hole, like I read in another post here when your done with the jeep put a celluar antenna on the mount, mounts are cheap about $7.00 with cable atached I would try to mount the antenna above the domelight usually there is a stiffening rib there, that is where I have my one of my antennas mounted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: