Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mag Mounts  (Read 432 times)
N7IOH

Ignore
« on: June 26, 2003, 08:01:43 PM »

I would like to get some recomendations as to some good Mag Mounts.  I am looking for a 3 or 4 magnet system.  It must be a quality/well made unit capable of holding a large home made antenna.  It needs to accept a 3/8" x 24 thread.  The mount will be used on different vehicles.  I am current looking at the MFJ-336T Goliath TRI-Mount, because of price mostly.  Anything better out there?  Thanks, Al N7IOH
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 09:42:08 AM »

I don't like magmounts for a variety of reasons. That said, the one sold by Lakeview Company (864-226-6990)is as good as any. it sells for $42.95.

Alan, KØBG

KC0MDC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 11:39:05 AM »

I have the mount Alan is suggesting, it seems to hold steady.  However, I have not had it up for a lengthy trip yet either.  I was told that I don't need to ground an HF antenna mounted with a mag mount, would that be true?  It just doesn't sound quite right to me.

73's

Tim
KB9YKY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2003, 05:22:57 PM »

"73's"? What was that supposed to mean?
KA5S

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2003, 08:48:45 AM »

I've used three and four-magnet mounts for MP-2 and MP-3 antennas. A homebrew mount with five magnets held a full-sized 80 meter Bug Catcher (but the magnets had to be adjusted to the angle of the roof). Another home-made mount with seven magnets (room for eight but I ran out) successfully held up a DK3 screwdriver antenna. Again, the magnets were shimmed to the angle of the roof.

An Iron-Horse three-magnet mount held a Webster Bandspanner (the short one) - but the plastic mount fractured.

Commercial mounts usually don't let the magnets move enough to conform to a curved roof, and are less effective as a result. This shows up in the rear-view mirror.

Cortland
KA5S

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2003, 08:52:07 AM »

Your instinct is right. Find a nearby spot, and ground it. It is only above the higher end of the HF spectrum that a ground can be dispensed with when using a mag-mount, and not always then; I've had to increase mount capacitance even at 42 MHz.

Cortland
KC0MDC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2003, 10:45:09 AM »

KA5S, thank you for the input, I'll give it a ground.  KB9YKY, must have been a slip of the fingers on the keyboard, but don't worry because it doesn't apply to you or others that nitpick on others' postings.

KCØMDC
KB9YKY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2003, 06:44:06 PM »

I wasn't "nitpicking". Odd that your fingers would "slip" at those 2 opposite sides of the keyboard at the same time. Seven Threeeeeeeeees. Ha.
JR3TVH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2003, 11:07:30 AM »

hi I am looking foe MagMount strong enough
no assist rope needed with Diamond HV7CX 1.9m long and 500g. Sure I know Lakeview's try ,for mag mount are
relieve me by hi way speed but to getting it away need huge power and  I failed scrach my car paint on the roof!
does anyone know how to leave safe and with small power,not scrachimg  way?
Taka to jr3tvh@arrl.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: