Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 03 Jetta Wagon  (Read 482 times)
WB7DKZ

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2003, 02:48:00 PM »

Greetings!  Does anyone have any experience in radio installation in this vehicle? Running power wires, mounting the radio (Icom IC-207 with remote head), routing antenna to the back? I am planning on using the Larsen glass mount for 2m and 70cm on the back side window.
Thanks much  - this really looks like a project!
Andy
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2003, 04:29:53 PM »

Actually, it's an easy task and a lot has been written here on eham.net to that end. My only comment is, forget the glass mount and install a good quality NMO mount. You'll be a lot happier with the results.

Alan, KØBG

KB9YNB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2003, 11:53:38 PM »

Geez Alan, you sound like a broken record! :^).  I agree about the glass mount.  Take advantage of that big ground plane of the wagon roof, and plop a nice fat NMO mount in there.  You'll be glad you did.  If you're leery about drilling, check with your local police/sherrif's office and see who installs their radios.  Have them install your antenna mount.  You'll be glad you did.

Hope you got the diesel wagon.  If not, take it back and get one. Um, you'll be glad you did! :^)

KB9YNB
WB7DKZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 03:29:24 PM »

FOLLOW UP ON THIS POST:

I have finished the Jetta instal - what a Job!
Got the 12v through the firewal - after looking quite closley, I found an un-used rubber plug, removed it, and ran the 12v through the hole!  Life is good!  The main unit mounted under the dash on the drivers side - used an existing screw, and a zip tie. The control head wire snaked through the center console and the remote head (Icom IC-207) double stick taped onto the place where the cup holders used to go but are  now down on the center console.  Antenna wire down through the head liner trim on the right side to a Larsen KG 2m/70cm dual band antenna. How does the dual band glass mount antenna work?  Great! No difference from the "hard wired" Diamond trunk mount from my last vehicle (Which is now for sale). It took two days, but its in, and in right!

WB7DKZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: