The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New truck/suvs that are RF quiet ?  (Read 1250 times)
K4AR

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2003, 07:23:41 PM »

Hi all,

So which current trucks & suv's are the most radio-friendly ?

Planning on operating HF, 6, & 144 SSB.

Thanks, Bert - K4AR
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2003, 08:03:26 PM »

Well, I have a 2002 Mazda B3000 that is pretty quiet as delivered. A little ignition noise that is easily cleaned up with the noise blanker. No alternator, fuel pump, or computer noise. The biggest noise source is the electric window motors - then only when putting a window up or down.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2003, 09:49:19 AM »

Look for vehicles which utilize coil over plug technology, rather than ones with distributor (really rare these days), or coil packs and plug wires. If you are having one built, then ask the dealer about two-way radio prewires, radio conduits, and heavy-duty alternators, etc. Ford big cars and trucks, GM trucks, and Dodge trucks are in this category.

Alan, KØBG

AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 02:02:48 PM »

I'd also want capability for an isolated second battery off the alternator, just for running radio equipment. This way you can transmit all you want and still start the truck when you want to go home. See if there's room under the hood for it too.
AD0AC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2003, 12:14:05 AM »

My 2002 Blazer (S-style, not the TrailBlazer) is like a tomb. No noise even when I'm powering the HTX-202 from a cigarette adapter and a mag-mount on the roof. My older GMs (Corsica and Sonoma) were just as good, with maybe a hint of ignition noise on the old Corsica. But hey, it was an older car with early ABS, SIR, and ECMs that probably radiated more noise than the newer stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: