Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions needed about antenna  (Read 396 times)
KG4VJD

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2003, 04:23:13 PM »

I'm trying to redo the antenna on my 92 Nissan Maxima which has a "SUNROOF".  At this time, I have a trunk lip mount with a 1/4 wave 2M whip.  Basically the roof is about the same height at the highest point of the antenna.  SWR isn't too bad, about 1.7:1.  I also need to be able to clear the garrage to park inside it.  So, this leaves me with only two options.

(1) To put a 1/2 wave antenna at the trunk.

(2) To drill a hole at the roof for a NMO mount and move the 1/4 wave whip there.

I'm slightly leaning towards (2) since there will be no blocking of the antenna in all directions.  But the sunroof make the installation somewhat difficult and I have to place the mount about 4 to 5 inches forward from the rear edge of the roof.  And the antenna will have a slight tilt to the rear.  Advantage is I can put a cell alike dual band antenna so it looks more steathly.  The trunk mount looks more like a commercial/police car.

What's you thought about this?

Oh, anyone knows if Home Depot carries brazing rod?

KG4VJD
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2003, 09:51:08 AM »

You probably won't notice the difference, however, you can always put a kink at the bottom to make it more or less vertical.

Alan, KØBG

KG4VJD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2003, 10:52:43 PM »

Thanks.  I definitely will get it on the roof after I work out the SWR problem with a roof NMO 1/4 wl installation (pls refer to my other posting in the Elmer's forum).

KG4VJD
KF2KO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2003, 12:20:23 AM »

Had a similar situation. A couple of years ago I inherited a mint '91 Honda Accord SE with a sunroof. I too, did not want to mess with the roof due to the sunroof. A mag mount was totally out of the question due to the scratches that were bound to come. So with teeth clenched firmly, I used a hole saw to punch a hole in the middle of the trunk and installed an NMO mount. I have a closet full of VHF and UHF bases, mounts, and elements. For this install, I chose a black Larson base (it's probably less than an inch tall),and a black Larson quarter wave spike. This arrangement has been most satisfactory for me. The small black 19" spike is hardly noticable, and it performs well. I think you will be hard pressed to notice the performance difference between mounting on the roof or the trunk. Either position places the antenna only a couple of feet above the ground. I've been playing with VHF and UHF mobile antennas for about 15 years now, and I always end up using the quarter wave spike.
Hope this opinion helps somewhat. Good luck with the install.
Gary KF2KO
KG4VJD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 09:45:44 PM »

Thanks for your input.  I think I'd stick to a 1/4 whip.  But for the location, I would opt for the roof.  I have used the current 1/4 whip on the side of the trunk today and have noticed it definitely not performing well in all directions (due to blockage).  I poped down the headliner and it will give me a 6-7 inches from the back edge of the roof for installation.  I have also played a little bit with antenna height on my bicycle.  I have noticed that a 10" inches antenna height increase yields much better result (clears more from body blockage) on my bike.

KG4VJD
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2003, 11:09:30 AM »

Why not use a bigger antenna than a 1/4, but one that folds over so you can get it into the garage?  Look at antennas by Comet and Diamond.  This is a great no-compromise way to get what you want.

Caity
K7VO
N3EOP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2003, 12:52:52 AM »

I definitely recommend the roof mount 1/4 wave.

Over the years, I've run just about everything that can be attached to a car.  Most of my running has been in the hills of 3-land, and the 1/4 wave got more signal out of the valley than any gain antenna.  (Where do you think that gain comes from?)

As for the tilt of the antenna... don't worry about it. I had that on one of mine, and it actually looked better than if I had bent it to vertical.

Jamie
KG4VJD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2003, 05:48:13 PM »

Tks for all replies.  I have finally drilled a hole for the NMO roof mount and put a 1/4 wave whip on it (too bad it's non-adjustable so the center of freq is at 148MHz).  I found the performance very pleasing since I'm only using 4 Watts from my HT.  I have been able to hit repeaters far away.  The tile doesn't bother me at all and it looks better than straight up.  The only thing is my car is white so it looks like a squad car from a distance.

73 KG4VJD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: