Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile 2m/70cm antennas for SSB and FM use.  (Read 918 times)
W6GNU

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2003, 11:30:19 PM »

I plan on getting a multi-mode mobile 2M/70cm radio, and am looking for a good antenna.
I hear rovers during the contests with M2 loops, and their signals are very nice. According to the M2 specs, the M2 2M loop is tuned for 144-144.5MHz.

What would be a good compromise between horizontal loops and vertical whips for SSB and occasional FM? The Comet SBB7 seems to offer a nice gain and has wider bandwidth.

Any suggests you can give to a first-time rover?

-- W6GNU
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2003, 04:49:58 PM »

If you go with a vertical whip you will have 20dB of polarization loss working local SSB/CW stations.  If you go with a horizontal antenna you will have 20dB polarization loss working repeaters.

I have had a 2m SSB rig mobile and just used a whip.  During Es band openings polarization gets changed in the ionosphere and you can still do quite well.  For locals *if* they could hear me most base stations could switch to vertical antennas.  

If you can only do one or the other decide which mode is most important to you and choose your antenna accordingly.  Since 2m FM is the most utilized mode from a car I chose to stick with a vertical antenna, albeit a big one Smiley
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2003, 09:22:53 AM »

Polarization rule of thumb: SSB=horizonal, FM=vertical. Lots of folks mix and match the above with fair results, but for consistant results, follow the rule.

BTW, the M2 squares work very well, and the 2M and 440 versions can be stacked even on a mobile. The 6M version is not easily stacked in a mobile setting.

Alan, KØBG

KD4EDE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2003, 09:47:00 PM »

There is no comparison between the SSB performance of a normal mobile 'vertical', and a horizontally polarized antenna!
     10 years ago, I used both with  a Yaesu FT 290.
    The then current M2 Sqloop  (Single), allowed me to make regular 2m ssb contacts with buddies 500-600 miles away....on base stations with modest directional beams, or course!  
     At least 100 watts, and a decent preamp help, also.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: