Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GMC coax installation  (Read 494 times)
AB8AS

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2003, 02:41:06 PM »

I am planning to install 2meter and HF rigs in a 2003 GMC truck.  Searching for ideas for getting the coax and power cables into cab.  Drilling holes will be necessary, not sure the best area.  Hoping someone has solved this problem in the past.

thanks
AB8AS
CW559

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 05:45:53 PM »

Take the vehicle to a mechanic or a place that installs land mobile radios. There is no reason to drill holes in the cab other than for antenna mounts.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2003, 08:55:53 AM »

Gee, hams are now being advised not to install their own radios? Ask other hams, read the ARRL Handbook, check with a mechanic at the dealership for free advise on how to remove panels, wire access runs, etc. It's really not that difficult that you need to pay someone to install your ham rig for you.

Basically, you can almost always find a rubber gromet going thru the firewall and often thru the floor (a drain plug). It is common for the accelerator cable to pass thru a rubber grommet in the firewall and there is often plenty of room to punch an additional hole for radio power cables.

You might want to invest in a tool to remove the press-fit snaps that often hold plastic trim panels in place.
KD5TXX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 04:56:43 PM »

There is, under the carpet on th edrivers side seat at least, a rubber gromet.  It is sealed in with probably paint, but a sealant for sure.     Cut a coax sized slice in it and feed the coax through it.  Then take some sealant, rubber cement etc and seal the hole back up. Put the carpet back down and its done.  Id slice a real small hole in the carpet under the seat and run the coax out there.  No one will ever see the hole.

Ed
KD4EDE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2003, 09:51:44 PM »

I'm in the same situation, with an '03 Sierra I want to mount some radios in.   I hope to get a local radio shop install an NMO mount soon.  HF antennas will be temporary.....
  Looking at the firewall......it does't look to 'radio' friendly....or at least doesn't offer the plethora of obvious firewall plugs my old F 150 had!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: