Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions on first radio  (Read 399 times)
KG6SLX

Ignore
« on: September 30, 2003, 12:41:24 AM »

Hello,
I've just gotten my first ham license and now need a radio.  I'd appreciate any suggestions as I don't know very much about radios.  I plan on using it in the local ARES/RACES net.  
     One stupid question, can all hand-held radios transmit on one band to a repeater and receive on another band, or do I need a special feature?  If I do need a special feature what is it?
     Thank you for your help.
                                   KG6SLX
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 10:10:40 AM »

ARES usually recommends a mobile type radio in order to have more power available than you get with an HT plus a portable antenna of some sort. I'd check with your local ARES people. An HT is fine if the ARES net is on a local repeater but if the repeater goes down in an emergency and you only have an HT you may not be able to communicate.

Some dual band radios have two receivers and can receive both bands at the same time. Others have a single receiver which is switched between bands an can only receive one band at a time. Some radios have a cross-band repeater function that allows the radio to serve as a repeater (receive on one band and re-transmit that signal on the other band). Other than that, I'm not sure why you would want to transmit on one band and receive on the other.
W5WJP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 10:09:21 AM »

Congrats on your new license!

Best bang for the buck is the Kenwood TM-G707 dual band mobile. Don't skimp on the antenna, get the best one you can afford. It's the antenna that makes the difference.

K7IHC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 03:47:42 AM »

I'd second the recommendation on the Kenwood TM-G707A.  I use one daily in my car.  Be prepared to buy some more radios as you get into being a ham.  I've only been a ham for about two years, and I already have nine VHF/UHF (including two 1.2 GHz) radios.
A good dual-band mobile antenna is the Larsen 2/70 NMO. A good dual-band base antenna is the Diamond X-50.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: