Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who's installed what in a Toyota Prius?  (Read 405 times)
KC7YRN

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2003, 02:19:41 AM »

Like everything else these days the Prius is full of computers and LAN cabling.

Unlike almost everything else it has an electric drive motor with a supply pulsing and switching up to a hundred amps hundreds of times a second.

I found some successful VHF installations on the web. Has anyone here installed an HF rig? How did you route the cables to avoid EMI?

Thanks and 73,

Fred KC7YRN
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 09:57:49 AM »

My brother, KØHYG (SK) installed a FT100D in his and did not experience any problems. Running the power cable and coax was more problematic as the wiring channel is full.  

Alan, KØBG

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 11:02:42 AM »

> it has an electric drive motor with a supply pulsing and
> switching up to a hundred amps hundreds of times a second.

Wimpy.  :-)

I thought the Prius had induction drive?  If you're going to get an interference from anything, it would be RFI from all the onboard electronics.  Since this vehicle has to undergo all of the EMI/RFI and susceptibility tests any other car has to go through, I wouldn't treat it differently than any other car.  Carefully pick your power/control head/antenna cable routing, ground and bond everything well.  Might be interesting to use a sniffer loop around the car to find the "hot spots", there's lots more of them in my XYL's gasoline car than my 90kW drive EV.  Being electric doesn't necessarily mean more RFI.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
k5lxp@arrl.net
KC7YRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 04:09:19 AM »

Mark, Alan, thank you! Informed, to the point and helpful.

Alan, did your brother (my condolences, by the way) put in a second 12V battery, or just run off the little one in the trunk?

Mark, if memory serves they are permanent magnet motor-generators. Variously described as brushless DC or AC depending on your point of view. Arguably very fast servo motors -- one of the computer's inputs is an angle sensor for the rotor. I love talking about the car. Feel free to send email to <callsign>@arrl.net if you want to risk hearing more than you want to know. There are some owners of pure EV's on the toyota-prius Yahoo group.

Thanks and 73 de Fred KC7YRN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: