Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GMC duramax and interferance?  (Read 359 times)
KC0MQR

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2003, 12:16:39 AM »

Has anyone out there had any experience operating hf in the general motors pu with the duramax diesel. Currently operating hf in a gmc with the 6.0 l vortec and it is a noise factory. Has excessive spark-alternator-fuel pump noise etc and am really tired of it. Would like input before the next purchase  as do not want to deal with this problem if I can help it.
The auto dealers are no help as the problem is ours not theirs. (cannot believe the attitude one has to put up with when they find out you are an amateur operator). Also anyone out there had any experience with the dodge diesel or the hemi or anyother brand of pickup that is quiet electrically.

Thanks John kc0mqr  73
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 10:23:18 AM »

Fortunately, I don't get the same treatment at my dealer as you get at yours. In fact, several of the employees have ask for a demonstration.

As for the Diesel, don't expect it to be quiet because it doesn't have an ignition, per sé. Some of the newest diesels have electronic injection rather than mechanical, and are just as noisy as gas engines.

Your current vehicle could be abated to an acceptable point given enough time and a few bucks for beads and straps. GM's new line of 6s all use COP technology and are typically quieter than the older types of ignitions.

One way to check it to turn on the AM radio to a blank space and see if you can hear any appreciable noise. If you can, more than likely you'll have it in your HF rig too.

Alan, KØBG

K8TDM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 12:54:37 PM »

I have just installed an Icom 706 MKII in my new 2004 1500 Dodge RAM with the 5.7L Hemi.  I also have a new High Serria Sidekick screwdriver mounted on the bed.  I am getting a somewhat annoying amount of ignition noise from the engine.  I am planning on installing some ferrite beads on the plug wires tonight to see if that improves the problem.  I will let you know if this solves it.

-Tom
K8TDM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: