Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual Band?  (Read 358 times)
SSGGIL31U

Ignore
« on: November 05, 2003, 03:22:03 AM »

Hello All, I am taking element 1 and 2 in the first week of December 2003.  After I pass, I will be looking for a dual band mobile and a suitable antenna.  If any of the experts out there have any suggestions, please let me know.  Keep in mind that I am on a military budget.  Thank you for your help and I hope to meet some of you on the air soon.  
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 10:16:31 AM »

Asking for a recomendation will garner you as many suggestions as respondents. Your best bet is to read the reviews section on this web site and pick the one which suits your style.

More important than the rig is the antenna. If you want maximum results, buy a good quality unit, and install it correctly. This typically requires drilling holes.

Alan, KØBG

KG6JEV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 10:36:47 AM »

Alan is correct. Your question is a good one, but it's open to a lot of subjective speculation. When I was licensed a few years ago, I was in the same predicament you are. I knew I wanted a HT and a mobile rig, but had no idea which one. I went to the different vendor sites (Ham Radio Outlet, Gigaparts, Texas Towers and many more...) and looked at the various mobile rigs for sale. When I saw something I liked, I read the eHam reviews and went to the manufacturer's site to see what they said about the product. I finally narrowed my list down to a couple of different radios. After weighing the options and prices, I finally chose the Kenwood TM-D700A. It's a dual-band rig with a built-in TNC, which means you can use it for packet or APRS - connect a compatible GPS and you're all set. If you're considering that rig, you may want to join the TM-D700A Yahoo Group, which has around 800 members at present. When reading the eHam reviews, don't make the mistake of blindly accepting everything you read - you have to read between the lines and use a little judgment. Occasionally, a guy will gripe about the most mundane thing and give a poor rating, when it's undeserved. Exercise a little common sense and you'll make the right decision. By the way, I mounted my D700 without drilling more than four holes - and those were for the transceiver mount.

Steven / KG6JEV/4
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: