Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-100D audio problems  (Read 513 times)
W9AIR

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2003, 10:55:18 PM »

I recently installed my FT-100D and Tarheel M-200A antenna in my 2003 Chrysler Town & Country van.  I have the FT-100D mounted between the front seats in one piece (not separated).  I have little or no receiver noise and signals are generally strong.  The antenna is mounted on a trailer hitch mount on the rear.  The coax and antenna control cable are run underneath the van, secured up in the chassis, through the firewall in the engine compartment.  For grounding, I have run 1/2" braid through the floor of the van to the chassis.  On transmit (SSB) I am getting reports of the audio being "mushy" and not clear.  Some have even suggested RF getting into the audio.  I have also done other grounding of tailpipe to frame, engine to frame, etc.  I have tried other microphones with no change in audio quality.  The unit has recently been back to Yaesu, and the problem supposedly fixed, but still getting same type of reports.  Anyone out there have any ideas?  About ready to give FT-100D a new home!!!  By the way, have mounted my Icom IC-746 in van temporarily, and getting great reports.  Just too big for normal mobile operating!  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!  Mike, W9AIR
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2003, 10:30:01 AM »

You are the second person to report "mushy" transmit audio using an FT100D. However, two examples out of a large number is insignificant. What more so is Yaesu's recent slamming by dozens of hams for not repairing obvious problems. One on my personal friends has had his back 5 times and they have been unable to repair the intermittant and mushy audio. I'd give them one more chance before I sell the unit. The guy who worked on it the first time might not of had his morning coffee or saki as the case may be.

Alan, KØBG

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2003, 10:48:12 AM »

Mike,

<< The coax and antenna control cable are run underneath the van, secured up in the chassis, through the firewall in the engine compartment.>>

You will be much better off running these through the cabin. There is too much chance for road damage unless you are running them through a conduit of some sort.

Lon
KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 09:58:31 PM »

Mic mod time!!!

Remove the screws from the rear of the mic, then remove the pc board screws inside. Then remove the ptt switch screw. Carefully lift the pc board and you will see the mic element. Carefully lift out the element with a small screwdriver. You will see a plastic round disc inside the mic housing.
 Remove it and throw it away. Then carefully open the third (but blocked) hole in the mic face with a small drill bit or hot pin. Carefully reassemble the mic, pay close attention to the wires when putting it back together so you dont pinch them. Once its done, set the ssb mic gain from 50-63 and set the tx dsp to dsp-2.. Enjoy the best audio you've ever heard from an FT100D.. Regards.. Richy N2ZD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: