Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Volvo V70 Mobile Installation ???  (Read 1098 times)
W6DXO

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2002, 11:46:57 PM »

Guys...

I am looking a purchasing at 2002 Volvo V70 wagon.  I plan on installing my 706MKIIG.  The V70 looks almost ideal with the battery mounted near the spare at the rear of the car and a usable storage area above the spare to mount the radio.  I will likely be using a screwdriver type antenna.

Any thoughts or feed back on issues or success with the V70 or other late model Volvo's really appreciated.

TIA.

:harry, W6DXO
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2002, 08:55:48 AM »

My only concern with the 706 (I have one installed in my Mercury) is the long cable you'll need to remote it in the back of the wagon. I personally haven't had any problems, but others have reported some when using the longer remote cable. However, installing a split-bead on each end cured the maladies. Most of the problem centered around premature shutoff of the rig on some bands.

I'm an advocate of "If you're going to do it, do it right" school of thought, so I don't do any installation as temporary. I use a high quality antenna (you can see my setup by looking up my call on this web site), and I permanently mount everything. I take time to properly bypass any potential RFI source, ground strap the doors, hood, tailgate/trunk lid, tail and exhaust pipes, and anything else bolted on.

Look aroung this forum for additional information of interest.

Alan, KØBG

LNXAUTHOR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2003, 12:52:00 PM »

- interesting, as i have a V70 AWD, and am now exploring how to do a mobile rig install...

- there are some problems that must be solved before one even considers a mobile rig install in one of these vehicles... first, the battery is located underneath the floor cover at the rear of the vehicle! all the other mobile rig installs discussed on the Web talk about running cable through the firewall, but those installs have nothing in common with an install for a V70 wagon!

- so, if the battery is so far back and power leads need to be as short as possible, then the rig has to be located in the back by the battery i suppose... the long leads for a remote head can, as discussed here, cause problems as well...

- another consideration is proper air flow for the rig, so installing it underneath the trunk floor (even though there is plenty of room) seems out of the question...

- there is plenty of room for a rig in the V70, but the re is no way i'm going to start running wire or drilling without more research - i'd love to hear from any other V70 mobile hams for possible solutions... i plan to have a chat with the dealer the next time i stop by, and there are a few pro-installers in my area who may have workable solutions...

- i'll post any info as my V70 mobile project continues...
OH1GR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 04:25:14 PM »

I installed Yaesu FT-857 into my Volvo V70 this summer with no problems. There is enough space for the rig near the battery. The length of the power cable is not more than 1 meter.

The remote head is also easy to install by utilizing a kit for a mobile phone. The remote head cable is about 5 meters long, and it has not caused any problems in this case.

The only problem I have is the noise originating from the fuel system. Removing the antenna cable or the antenna helps, but it is rather difficult to work any DX this way.

Most probably I will try ferrite beds to attenuate the RFI right at the place where it is cause, i.e. near the engine.

If there are any V70 owners being interested in pictures on the installation, don't hesitate to ask those by email.

Mika OH1GR
LNXAUTHOR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2003, 09:35:14 PM »

>  I installed Yaesu FT-857 into my Volvo V70 this summer with no problems.

very good! i just have a 2M rig installed right now (2800M)... 2M antenna (PL259 mount) on a 4-magnet mount... power is via a power outlet... the rig is underneath the right forearm console, and faces forward (i use the mic to set freqs, etc.)...

i'd be interested in viewing your install though, as i'm leaning towards the 857...
K2IPH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2003, 12:55:26 PM »

How about running 12 volts from the large terminal post in the fusebox? The dealer suggested this, but I don't know where best to bring the line into the car through the firewall
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: