Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hustler SR 20 swr change  (Read 373 times)
N3OW

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2003, 02:55:17 PM »

Has any had the Super Resonators de-tune.
I have had the 20 meter Super Resonators and the 40 meter Super Resonators mounted sence July with no problems but yesterday the 20 meter Super Resonators swr has changed  to the point that 1.5 to 1 is in the area of 14.000 were i was getting about 1.5 to 1 in the 14.250 area. what could have happened?
thank you
Jay
N3OW
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 05:48:43 PM »

This is a common problem with either the small or large resonators. Moisture gets under the vinyl covering and causes the detuning. Heating them to about 100 degrees for a couple of hours will generally dry them out. Don't let them get too hot of the vinyl covering will melt!

Alan, KØBG

N3OW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 09:10:15 PM »

I called huslter this afterniin and was told that was most likely water on the inside and to place it in the oven @200 deg f for 1 hr. Well I did that and the vinal jacket came off. so what I did and hope will work is covered the exposed coil with black electrical tape and then coated it with silicon.
I will re install in on my pick up truck in the morning if the silicon is dry.
If this works i will have to find some white tape or cover my 40 meter Resonator with black tape sp they look ok as i have the 3 band adapter on.
If this works look for me on the County hunters net 14.336 on on 40 7.238.
73 N3OW
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2003, 09:56:10 AM »

Jay, that's why I suggested just 100 degrees. Rather than use tape or any kind of silicon, look on line at www.digi-key.com. They sell shrink tubing large enough to go around even the large coils. Most vinyl tape is not all-weather and should be avoided. If you do use tape, use Scotch 33+. Look at Graybar or some other good supply house and you'll find it in widths up to 2".

Alan, KØBG

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2003, 03:33:34 PM »

I had a similar problem with the 40M traps on my A3 add-on kit. On cool, humid mornings the SWR would be high. If I held the transmitter key down, I could see the SWR drop as the coils heated up and dried out. Wait 10 minutes and re-key and the SWR would be high again and then begin to drop. Wait til later in the day and all was okay. Too bad because the 40M DX is there in the early mornings :-(

I don't believe it was any leakage but rather condensation forming on the large, cold coils.

XE1UFO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2004, 02:42:50 AM »

Instead of black tape and silicone, try tool handle dip.  Sold for electricians at just about any large hardware store in the U.S. Then give it a couple of light coats of white vinyl paint, if you must.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: