Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ft-857 or Ic-706mkIIg  (Read 452 times)
KB0GUS

Ignore
« on: October 04, 2003, 11:08:27 PM »

Looking to buy my first moblie HF rig.  Which one should I buy?  Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks - Josh
KB0GUS
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 09:53:03 AM »

Any time you ask another amateur about which rig you should buy, you open a Pandora's box of opinions! I suggest you read the reviews section here on eham.net for ideas.

I personally have an Icom 706MkIIG, but the Yaesu FT100D is popular, and to a lessor extent, the TS50 Kenwood and the Alincos. What's more important is the antenna you choose and where you mount it. A myriad of information appears in the articles section with respect to the latter.

Alan, KØBG

KB0GUS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2003, 11:40:52 AM »

Let me clairify... I am looking for anyone who has used both.  I have read all the articles and reviews and am looking for someone with hands on with both.  

Thanks, Josh - KB0GUS
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2003, 06:45:28 PM »

Having owned both, here's my take. But please understand, I'm just one guy and others opinions may differ.

The IC706MkIIG has a steep (!) learning curve if you wish to use all of its inherent abilities. This makes using it as a mobile rather difficult for the first month or two depending on how much you use it. Once learned, it's a good radio with a few caveats.

One, you have to buy the 1.9 Khz SSB filter as the 2.3 is all but worthless in mobile operation. The NB is not too good, but then again, you should do what you can to "fix" the noise before it gets to the radio as all NBs open up the front end to all sorts of junk and intermod. Read, reread, and reread the manual at least 5 times, cover to cover. Play, play, and play with the menus until you can do them in your sleep.

The FT857 is not a bad radio, but it is QRP when compaired to the Icom. Some say the DSP is better, but if you adjust the Icom correctly, you won't notice much difference. The display is smaller than the Icom, and not as bright, but contains less information which is good. Being portable, with the battery pack, offers some advantages, but in all fairness, this radio should be compared to the IC703, not the 706. As for mobile use, you need all of the power you can get, and 5 to 20 watts is barely adequate.

I used the 857 as a bicycle mobile until I realized QRP was NOT my bag.

Hope this helps you make your choice.

Alan, KØBG

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2003, 08:41:05 PM »

Here's the simplicity formulas:

Small Radio + Many Features = Complex Menu
Small Radio + Simple Operation = Few Features
Many Features + Simple Operation = Big Radio

I find the noise blanker on my IC706MkIIg to be quite effective against ignition noise although it does cause distortion on strong signals. I suppose the effectiveness against ignition noise depends on how strong the ignition noise is.
W5WJP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2003, 10:05:53 AM »

Since when is 100w QRP? You are confusing the FT857(100w) with the FT817(5w). Both are DC to daylight. Both are very portable.
K6SDW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2003, 10:54:35 PM »

FT100d....while they last!
WA2GOY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2003, 10:19:19 AM »

Josh:  Just received the FT857 three days ago from Ham Radio Outlet. I did alot of researching before buying it.  Will say this:  SURE IS A CUTE LITTLE THING.  It hides away nicely in my F150 pickup.  I am presently working on getting the Atas120 properly grounded and resonate (not an easy task} I will let you know when everything is worked out.

Have a Kenwood TS870S in shack. Definetly no comparison between these two transceivers.
WB5DX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2004, 01:42:31 AM »

Josh, What did you decide.  I am researching the exact same question...whether to go for an FT857 or an IC706.  Reviews of both are good, the Yaesu is cheaper.  So, what happened?

Bill
KB0GUS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2004, 12:02:54 PM »

I went with the Yaesu.... before the rebate even.  I love it.  It takes a little getting used to, but it's a wonderful little radio.  With the rebate, I think it's a no brainier.  

Josh - KB0GUS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: