Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noise Problems 2002 Ram 1500  (Read 388 times)
W6IZT

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2004, 09:33:46 AM »

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.9 L engine. I'm looking for advise on reducing the amount of ignition noise. I have bonded the tail pipe to the frame and this has reduced the noise somewhat. The radio is connected directly to the battery. I tried bonding the cab to the frame and this actually increased the noise somewhat. Any help is greatly appriciated.

Gregg
KC4GMY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 09:46:23 AM »

Try wrapping the power cord with tinned copper braid or aluminum tape and then bonding the shield to the frame at both ends.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 11:00:14 AM »

Covering any low impedance circuit with shielding is not an effective noise abatement procedure.

In addition to straping the tail and exhaust pipes, the doors, tail gate, hood, and anything else bolted on. One of the reasons your apparent noise increased was most likely the result of having a better groundplane due to the straping.

If your engine uses COP (coil over plug) technology, about all you can do is use beads over the primary connections. Don't forget to do the same for the injector leads too. Mix 43 is the best for this applications, and these split beads can be purchased from several different sources.

You didn't state how or where you mounted the antenna. Solid, well mounted units perform much better than clamped or mag mounted ones.

Alan, KØBG

W6IZT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 11:50:38 AM »

Thanks for the assistance, the antenna is mounted to the rear corner of the bed with a ball mount the tuner is bolted to the inside of the bed adjacent to the tuner. The noise seems to be ignition related, as it increase in strength with an increase in RPM. I'll try some 43 mix split beads.
K3ASF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 04:42:22 AM »

I also have Dodge Ram Sport same engine. I routed the power leads following the hood cable release to the battery with no apparent problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: