Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas? Mounting IC-207 in 2003 chevy S-10 ext. cab  (Read 393 times)
KE4TQH

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2003, 08:23:07 PM »

I need to mount an IC 207 dual band radio in this truck.The truck has the bench seats so area is open under dash.Would it be better to mount the radio itself in this area,or mount it somewhere in the extended cab part and use the removable faceplate somewhere else in the dash area.Just trying to see what someone else has done with this model.Have still got to figure out how to get the hot wire in from te battery to the inside also.Any help or suggestions would beappreciated.
AD0AC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2003, 11:14:11 PM »

Hey,

I used to have 2000 Sonoma extended cab. If you have a removable faceplate, just put the main body of the radio somewhere in the back. It'll take a little longer to steal that way. But don't put it under the seat, it will get too hot there. Anyway, you can mount the faceplate on top of the dash on the hard plastic just above the center A/C vents, under the ashtray, or if you want to get really creative, on top of the rear-view mirror. Galls, www.galls.com, has some pretty neat mounting solutions for transmission humps. All the cops use 'em, so they're tough too.

About routing the power cable, you have several options. The first is the hole where the clutch pedal would have been if you had a stick, the second is one of the plugs underneath the sills on either side of the truck, the third is the hole where the stereo antenna lead comes inside. Also, this goes without saying, but run both positive and negative wires from the battery, both fused. It will save you a lot of hassle later with grounding problems, noise, and blown fuses.

It will be very hard to see the spots in the "firewall", and you don't want to drill into a heater hose or your master cylinder, so be careful. If you've never done it before, consider a two-way radio shop that installs in cars, preferably places that service police and other public safety. Ham radios aren't that different, and chances are there will be a ham there too. One more thing, I used a simple mag-mount 5/8 wave on one of the wheelwells in the bed. It probably wasn't the ideal place to put it, but I usually had pretty good reception and reports with it. Good luck!
N3ZLH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2003, 09:36:53 PM »

I have a 2002 S-10 ZR2.  I just bought a Shelf that mounts to the roof using the spots the sun visor mounts to.  You could place your radio on that or place the radio in the back and then mount the faceplate to the shelf.  It would be a convient place to view the screen as it would be just above eye level.  The shelf is called a Shelf It.  You can buy them at automotive accessory stores or get them off of ebay.  They are normally $50 but I got mine for $15 off of ebay. As far as running the wires I ran my through the radio antenna grommet which is located under the carpet on the passengers side firewall/floor area. Eric N3ZLH
KC2JCQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 02:07:26 AM »

Hey man,
I just installed my 208H in my 2003 chevy s-10 ext cab.
Here goes.
The faceplate is mounted right above the vent to the left of the steering wheel. The body is mounted in the space behind the fold up seat. You will need some extra power and ground wire. I like to run both the power and ground directly to the battery. You will see a grommet on the passengers side of the truck down by the foot area. Remove the grommet (not easy) cut a hole in it and run the power/ground through it. Replace the grommet and add some silicone to seal up the hole you cut. You will be able to continue running the wires under the plastic trim on the floor. To mount the radio I used heavy duty sticky back Velcro from Home Depot. The color is gray and designed to be used outdoors and will mount things to concrete and bricks so I figured it would hold a 5 pound radio, When I mounted it the temp was -2 and it still held fine. To mount the faceplate I used a 3M double stick tape designed for holding on body molding.
All wires are hidden and I think it looks great.

If you like I can send you some pictures just e-mail me jamo344224@aol.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: