Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions from a new ham  (Read 635 times)
WAITINGONTICKET

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2004, 06:24:22 PM »

Hello all,
I am going to take my tech. exam Feb. 3. So you guessed it, another newbie with stupid questions!! well your right. ha ha. OK here goes. I have been looking at the Yaesu FT-8800R 2m/440 MHz. I will run it mobile b/c i spend LOTS of time in my car. First i DO NOT need a duplexer for this rig, correct?? I want only 1 dual band antenna. This brings up the second question...what dual band MAG MOUNT antenns would you folks recommend. I know this question is only of personal option, but as i have said, i am new to ham radio. Just some ideas is what i am looking for. Going to put the order in to HRO in a few days for the radio, antenna, and mount. Thank you all for helping out.
Steve
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 09:29:31 PM »

mag mount = NONE!

But if you must.... a Larsen 2/70 has always been a solid performer.
K7IHC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 04:07:59 AM »

I second the recommendation of the Larsen 2/70 NMO antenna for 2m/70cm dual-band mobile use.  A mag mount would be my last choice in a mount.  OK for rental car use or on a friend's car for temporary use.  Mag mounts can fall off due to wind and overhead obstructions and can scratch the paint.  They also require you to find a feed-through point that might be less than desireable (water leaks/wind noise) and hard on the co-ax.  If you're going to keep your car for awhile, don't be afraid to drill a hole in it for a solid NMO mount.  I have three such mounts in the trunk lid of my 1998 Honda Accord.
WAITINGONTICKET

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 12:52:41 AM »

Thanks guys,
Steve
WAITINGONTICKET

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 12:53:15 AM »

Thanks guys,
Steve
WAITINGONTICKET

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 12:53:32 AM »

oops!
K3ASF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 09:49:12 AM »

I don't think the duplexer question was answered. No..you don't need one just a 2/70 ant. I recently sold my FT-8800R for lack of activity to support all it has to offer. Excellant choice.
WAITINGONTICKET

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 03:48:06 PM »

Thank you very much for a good answer. I didn't think i did, just wanted to make sure before i put the order in to HRO.
Thanks again
Steve
N3JWN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2004, 06:21:59 PM »

Steve I've been mobling for 12 years not as long as some!! but I recoment the Diamond NR-770ha 3/5.5 db gain for 2m/440(cost $57.00) used the same antenna now for 12 years. (Move the mag mount and clean and polishe very 3-4 months depending on weather/ never had any scratches never came off or Blew off) PL259 connector/also has n connector and the approperate Mag mount the spm35(cost $39.00) is the so239 mt /dont know the # for the n conn. if you really want some Gain go to the SG-7900 5/7.6 db Gain use the (cost $125.00) K702m magmount(cost$49.00) need good mag mount or k540 (cost 59.00)rack luggage mount Have fun be safe.................73's
Dick / n3jwn
WAITINGONTICKET

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2004, 01:24:19 AM »

Hey, Dick thank for the great info. I also looked at that antenna b/c of the better gain over the Larson 2m/70cm. The price is about double (including the mount) but no reason to "skimp" on the antenna when you have a good radio. ha ha!
Again thank for the info.
Steve
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2004, 08:53:15 PM »

Steve, if you can afford it you may want to take a step up to a multiband rig and antenna.  The Yaesu FT-8900 will add 6m to your arsenal and sporadic E openings are not tied to the sunspot cycle.  When that band open it's lots of fun.

If you can afford a multiband, multimode rig such as a Yaesu FT-857 the you are even better off.  2m and 6m SSB are a blast and under the right conditions (a sporadic E opening, for example) you may find yourself talking halfway across the country.  

Don't worry about not having the license for HF yet.  The rules may be changing soon if the ARRL has it's way and you may find yourself with access to HF later this year, or sooner if you choose to upgrade.

Just my .02, which is probably worth what you paid for it.

Caity
K7VO
N4PGW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2004, 09:48:53 PM »

I never ran a single dual-band antenna magmount, but I ran two mag mounts, one was 2 meters 5/8 wave and the other a colinear 440 mhz antenna.  I used the 2 meter antenna since I purchased my first 2 meter rig in 1979.  I still have the antenna and mount.  It has never been lost or blown off the car, but it was knocked off the car a couple of times, includeing once when it hit a very large bird.  Usually, it was the trees.

As for the scratches, I had very little scratching from the magnet (6" diameter) but the coax did a number on the roof of the car with the wind beating on it.  

I tried the antenna as a gutter mount and also as a trunk-lip mount.  I never noticed a difference in the lip mount compared to the mag on the trunk, but the guttermount was quickly discarded -- yuck!  Most often I preferred to keep the antennas on the roof as opposed the trunk, but the trunk location was better as the wires were better routed into the car.  

As for performance, I think the range was a little better on the roof when traveling but in the city, it didn't matter.  The gutter mount was a pain to keep grounded and actually caused more scratches and paint damage than the mag-mount.  Over time, the coax would scratch the roof with small fine scratches where the wind rubbed it against the paint, but a friend showed me that a little polish did wonders to buff it out.

I did try wax paper under the mag mount on a rental car, but the wax paper left more marks than the mag-mount.  It took a tremendous amount of elbow-greese to clean it off.  Never again!

How do you plan to operate?  Are you going to travel a lot on the highway or mostly operate in the city with an occassional trip out of town?  If the latter, just use a trunk lip mount or a mag mount on the trunk with the leads fed into the car under the back seat.  If you are travelling most often, you may want the antenna on the roof.  If you are worried about scratches, mount the mag-mount on the trunk so the wind doesn't move the coax.  

I hope this helps.  Good mobiling and 73's.

Buck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: