The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maldol PR-212D  (Read 1843 times)
KC4GMY

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2004, 12:57:56 AM »

Has anyone had an experience with one of these monster antennas?  I am thinking of buying one and am solicting feedback from owners...
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 03:15:43 PM »

As you've stated, it is big and supposedly has good gain figures (dbi). The real question is, will it out perform a good old 1/4 wave dual bander? Maybe is a good answer.

Placing the Maldol on top a vehicle where it would perform at its best is difficult in an urban setting, where a 1/4 wave or perhaps a 5/8 wave wouldn't be. Under most conditions, a 1/4 wave placed in the middle of the roof will out perform a better (higher gain) antenna mounted on say a bumper.

From a cost standpoint, the arguement is moot.

Alan, KØBG

KC4GMY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 04:25:04 PM »

Alan - K0BG Wrote:

As you've stated, it is big and supposedly has good gain figures (dbi). The real question is, will it out perform a good old 1/4 wave dual bander?
=====================================================

Alan, have you owned this model?

Charles
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 06:14:40 PM »

No, but I have a friend in Denver, who has, and I installed it. My honest opinion is; I'm glad I have a Larsen NMO270.

Alan, KØBG

KC5AOS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 01:51:12 AM »

A few points.  Don't worry to much about the magmount thing vs. puting a hole in your roof.  Capacitive coupling gets better with higher frequencies.  If you want to minimize the losses due to the capacitive coupling, purchase the magmount with the biggest base (rule of thumb)and this will increase the capacitance.

Also, you mentioned being in parking garrages often.  You will probably want to go with a shorter dual band antenna to minimize contact with structure.  Even with spring flexable whips it is not a good idea to have them hitting on structure.  And since you stated that you wanted to txmit from within the garage, folding is out of the question also.  I think the average clearance is around 9ft, so subtract the height of your mounting point and 6 inches for clearance and that should give you a good starting point.  
KC5AOS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 01:54:35 AM »

OOPS.  Sorry I was off topic.  Postd in wrng frm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: