The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna Install Ideas for Truck  (Read 917 times)
KD5ZJZ

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2003, 10:19:47 PM »

I have given up on the tri-mag mount idea for an antenna on my Ford Ranger.  I am now considering a 6m halo about 36 inches above the roof.  I would like to mount the supporting pole for the antenna in one of the holes on the bed rail near the cab.  The other idea was some sort of pole/pipe running across the bed from one rail to the other, with each side connecting into the bed rails, and then the mounting pole for the antenna attached to that.  This way the cab would shield a good portion of the antenna support pole.

I do not want to drill any holes because the truck has 2.5 years left on the warranty.  I just can't figure out how to get a pole/pipe/etc mounted firmly into the bed rail holes.

Any suggestions on how big of a pole/pipe/etc is needed to support a 6m halo (about 36 inches in diameter) at highway speeds?  Any suggestions on materials?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm still very new to ham radio and can't find details on a mounting system.

Thank you,

Taylor
KD5ZJZ
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 08:29:50 AM »

You might get some ideas at
 http://www.geotool.com/antmount.htm

As far as holes, drilling a hole should not void the warantee on the vehicle.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 10:14:36 AM »

A Halo (or Squalo) for 6 or 2 can be easily mounted even on a small mast like those available from texas Bug Catcher.

Several different companies make stake hole mounts, but here's a better idea especially for a halo.

Home Depot, and most after-market truck outlets carry a metal capped, rubber plug which fits into the stake pocket. It has a screw eye which when tightened squeezes the rubber plug thus holding in the plug. If you get the one I've seen, it has a 3/8x24 thread (!) making it to mount an antenna. One of these (no need to span the bed) will easily hold a halo. Just turn the halo towards the inside and you're in business.

Alan, KØBG

OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2003, 02:42:28 AM »

if you have stake holes in the bad, you have built in antenna mounts.

What I did. I took a piece of scrap alumimum (actually a piece of 19 inch rack panel) and cut it to fit a little larger then the stake hole. I took a long bolt (1/2in diameter) and a big washer for the bottom of the stake hole and bolted the plate down over the hole. I then drilled the plate for my antenna mount. Ran the coax into the bed and into the cab thru a access port that Dodge was kind enough to provide. It was a body mount hole... when they assembled the bed to the frame, this hole gave them access. After they assembled, they plugged it with a rubber plug, and this made it an easy access point.
KD7EZE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 01:14:31 PM »

Drill, drill, drill.....holes won't void the warranty, and they don't affect the trade in value, if that's what you're interested in.

Maybe I don't understand the trade in scenario. You go buy a vehicle, and you make payments for how ever long, and in a couple of years you trade it in on a newer model, and you make payments, still. Your vehicle probably wasn't worn out, you just feel the need to get a newer version, for what ever reason, and to continue making payments.
When I buy a vehicle, I pay cash for it, no payments. When it's not feasible to invest money in its repair, I go buy a new one, and again pay cash for it, no payments. When one invests their hard earned money in a vehicle, one expects it to last for aa long time, at least 10 years. Anyway, this is turning into an off topic rant, so I'm out!

KD7EZE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: