Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Permanent tri-band mount  (Read 343 times)
KC0HJX

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2004, 01:12:38 AM »

Well, I just received my FT-8900R, and now I am looking for a good mobile antenna.  Since I'm still a no-code tech, I don't really need a quad-band antenna.  Therefore, I've looked at a lot of tribanders, and  I think I am settling on either the Comet SB-14 or SB-15.  At any rate, I will likely be doing a permanent roof mount with this antenna.  Are there any 'how-to's out there on the net?  I've done google searches, but haven't really come up with much.  I mean, those two particular antennas are UHF connectors... How do I support the antenna? etc etc etc...

Also, this antenna will be the fourth that I have on my car ('95 Pontiac Bonneville).  I currently have a CB antenna, a Larsen NMO Dual-bander, and a Radio Shack scanner antenna (which is also a low-power dual-bander).  All of these are magnet mounts... How much of a problem am I going to run in to regarding the four antennas?  I really don't transmit too much, as I mainly use my radios for receiving.  I will probably keep the CB and scanner antenna's on the trunk, but try to bring the Larsen dual-bander up to the roof with the  tribander... Do I really need to worry about blowing my FT-8000R (which is on the Larsen now) when I xmit on the tribander / FT-8900R?  I've heard some say that I will blow radios on surrounding antennas, but I've also heard that radios today are built well enough such that this is not a problem.  Thanks!

KC0HJX
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 10:10:20 AM »

I'd be leary about mounting two radios and two antennas which operate on the sames bands. Although you might get away with it, you run the risk of damaging one or the other, maybe both.

Alan, KØBG

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: