Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IS there an upgrade available for Swan 117XC sply?  (Read 2851 times)
KG6YV

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2009, 06:19:14 PM »

HI I have a nice Swan 117XC supply for my 500CX and a while ago I hread of someone who was making a replacement filter board for these.  Can't find anything now thru Google.  Is there such a product available, if so by whome?  
W8ZNX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 01:24:21 AM »

have seen drake and heathkit supply rebuild kits
but nothing for swan

ive rebuilt a swan supply
its dirt simple
just get out the manual

swap out the old filter caps for new
a few new diodes some bleeders and you
have a new supply

you can do it

yes it is easier to simply buy a kit
but you can get everything you need from Mouser

yours truly
mac
N0MKC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 01:23:44 PM »

I think there is at least one kit out there (board & all) as well as replacement parts kits (use existing board).

I got the kit about a year ago for my Swan 117XC power supply, and it was an easy build & install. I don't recall the seller right off-hand (I've probably got it written down at home somewhere...)

Try the Swan group on Yahoo; I think you'll find the info in the message archives there.
KI6NQT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 11:19:12 PM »

There were 2 places I was getting them from.  "Sunlight energy systems" which I don't see them for sale for some reason and "The Heathkit shop" which seems the owner has had an industrial accident and I don't see them on his site either anymore.
  From time to time they will appear on ebay for about 65 bucks.

Tim Ki6NQT
K3JVB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 08:09:50 PM »

Yes
There is another. Was on the market as box of rocks brand. Now being dold on ebay, by a 7 land ham.
Good kit. I used one myself. The power supply performs beter than original specs.
Try   swanradios@yahoo.com

I think the kit is about $65.00
Good luck
John-k3jvb
W0SZP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 02:15:02 PM »

I have done both types of 117XC upgrades, the component at a time level and the kit from e-bay. I agree with W8ZNX that Mouser has what you need and this is the simplest upgrade. Just buy the parts and replace the old. I've done it to a 117XC and a PSU-2 (117XC equivilant for a Swan 700S) and both are better than new.
   Having said that, I've also bought the kit for a 117XC that the foil runs were beyond repair. It was worth the 65.00 I paid for it (You called it K3JVB) on e-bay. I forget the fellow's seller id who was selling it but he'd said he was going to quit making them, and then a couple of months later he was offering them again. I've seen them sporadically on e-bay.
   If your circuit board is trashed, I'd chase down the kit. If it's at all in decent shape, buy the parts and heat up your solder iron.
N1RND

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 04:25:24 PM »

I too did it myself, bought the caps for justradios.com
Spent about 25 bucks I think and the power supply works great.  Installed new diodes too.
While on the subject, would it be a good or bad idea to leave the sheetmetal case of the actual power supply so it could run cooler?  It already inside a vented enclosure(speaker cabinet).
W0SZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 10:00:43 AM »

KB7BGS is the guy offering the kit now. He's out of Utah, his name is Steve, and he is often net control for the Swan User's net on Sundays around 14.250 @ 2100Z. I have several versions of the 117, some with the metal case around the pwr supply portion, some without. The older ones don't have the metal cases. I mistakenly reported rebuilding a PSU-2, that was in error, it is a PSU-3. Rotsa Ruck
K3JVB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 06:05:55 AM »

Cooling..

I have read tha some have put some holes in the top cover, inside the cabinette. But mine is all factory stock. I have run the ps long and hard, never had any problems with heat.

Although, I also use the lower voltage (600v) tap.As I run a Mk-2 amp. At the higher 800v tap, the amp will drive the amp to much,

KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 07:58:25 AM »

Thanks for the information and the fellow's callsign.  I emailed him to inquire.  

Although I can replace the caps with new ones, it would be nice to go with a complete upgrade.

Greg
KG6YV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: