Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: icom 706mkIIG noise  (Read 390 times)
KC0BMF

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2004, 12:57:16 AM »

How do all ? I just finished a homebrew 6 meter antenna for the pickup and had alot of noise on 50.091 and 50.125 but I noticed that when I grabed the mike the noise reduced. I took my hand held an IC T90A on 50.125 and held under the dash next to the 706, with the 706 off I heard nothing but when I turned the 706 on there was the noise. The 706 has 2 places for the mike to plug in and I had it pluged in to the front or the remote head part. When I pluged it in to the back the noise was gone. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and any suggestions as to why.Thanks in advance

73 kcobmf John
KG8S

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 09:12:26 AM »

Make sure you are using the screw to attach the remote cable to the main unit.  It provides the ground for the remote head (and microphone if plugged into the remote panel) to the main unit.

73 de KG8S Brad
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 11:06:38 AM »

I've found that the 706 control head seems to be susceptible to RFI, or at least a conduit of RFI to the transceiver.  I discovered this when I mounted my GPS near my 706 and whenever the GPS is on a bounty of birdies, buzzes and chirps can be heard.  Seems like you've found a solution to the problem, just wanted to chime in and let you know you're not the only one to have discovered this.  Recently I've undertaken a project that involved complete disassembly of the 706 control head and I discovered there is *no* shielding of any kind inside.  So it's not much of a suprise this is going on.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 01:32:11 PM »

Brad is dead on about the screw holding the remote cable. There is really no other way to DC ground the head. Make sure you use the screw which came with the cable. A standard 2mm screw head will not clear the plastic around the attachment hole.

The latest production runs of the remote cable also have a split bead factory installed. If yours doesn't, use a 3/8 ID mix 43 bead and loop the cable through it twice.

Alan, KØBG

KC0BMF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 07:51:12 PM »

Thanks for the help guys. I might not have worded that very well. I don't have the remote head remotly mounted it is mounted on the radio so, I don't have the cable hooked up. I just ment that I had it pluged into the head that is on the radio. I better quit before I confuse myself. At any rate if there isn't any shielding in the head I would guess that this is a common problem. Maybe by hooking the cable up using the screw and remote mounting that will also do it. I'll give it a try.

Thanks again 73 John kcobmf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: