Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with mobile 6m fm  (Read 1527 times)
KD5WLH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2004, 03:14:53 PM »

oh and by the way, I got my license in april of 2003.  Didn't do ANYTHING with it (didn't even have a radio), until December 15th of 2003 (about 4 weeks ago), when I bought my new yaesu.  So, maybe now you'll understand the difference between a 4 week ham newbie and someone like you who've had your license since 1999.

Anyway.  My dad just got his alinco 6m fm in and he said it works good, so i'm gonna do a test today and report back to let you guys know how it goes.  I'm at work now and can't mess with it, but.......Thanks to all who wrote in!

kd5wlh
HAMROCKS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2004, 03:15:29 PM »

I got a new radio -- not sure what to do with it or the frequencies -- do i need an antenna or something to make it work -- also there is a thing you talk into but i am not sure where to plug it into up -- I have a technician license but I think that i can make these radios act like it was HF -- do i have to plug the radio into anything to make it work or does it take D cells -- I have not taken even a moment to read the manual -- in fct -- I don't even have a license --

I am a ham nightmare -- I am the very reason they should keep the Code requirement active -- think about it -- if i am having this many problems with 6 meters putting out 50 watts wait to I get on 40 meters with 200 watts --

Read the damn manual. Learn the hobby before you ask us to come over and program the radio for you -- you have a very expensive radio that only works on FM when you really need SSB to talk to your dad....

aaaggghhhhhh!!!!!!
KD5WLH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2004, 03:19:09 PM »

LOL!!

Man, that's good.  You must be the LENO of the ham world.  You're a hoot dude!  Thanks for the laugh.
KD5WLH

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2004, 03:24:09 PM »

Funny how "hamrocks" AND "brian" both overuse the "--" characters in their emails.  hamrocks must really be brian.  You think?  lol

So hamrocks/Brian/Leno, I appreciate your caring attitude, but you should really make yourself useful and try helping newbs out instead of trolling the place to death.

L8r
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2004, 03:46:45 PM »

Ken:

Hang in there, buddy, you are doing just fine for a newcomer! Ask questions and ignore the trolls!!! Have you noticed that "Brian" is using the club call sign for a Florida university and not one of his own?

In the metro Baltimore area there are several 6m repeaters listed in the directory but only one is active, and most of that activity is a weekly rag chew net. There IS a fair bit of local SSB activity, though. I have a feeling that this is typical.

Have you hooked up with any of the local "old timers" for some hands on assistance? Most hams I know are very supportive of new hams, especially if the conversation starts out "I have this new radio I need some help with" and offer to let them play with it. <gg>

Lon
KD5WLH

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2004, 03:58:10 PM »

> Have you noticed that "Brian" is using the club call sign for a Florida university and not one of his own?

Yeah, thought that was weird at first, but after his latest it sort of makes sense.  Doh!!

> Have you hooked up with any of the local "old timers" for some hands on assistance?

Not yet but I hope to real soon.  I'm sort of becoming a well known on a 2m freq up here where I work and live.  The guys I talk to the most only use 2m though.  I've yet to find anyone who is into 6m fm.   I got on a NET the other night with a group of hams who have a 2m repeater on the highest mountain here in arkansas (Mt Magazine) and they seem REAL helpful.  I'm gonna be asking a lot of questions and I think there is a local ham club that meets the first tuesday of each month.  I'm gonna plug into that too.

One thing for sure, it's a neat hobby and ALL of the folks I've talked to on the air are super nice people.

I appreciate that, take care,

kd5wlh
K3TD

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2004, 12:32:35 PM »

Ken,

Here are some 6 meter repeater frequencies for central Arkansas.  Program your RX for the Output frequencies and your TX for the Input frequencies.  One also has tone squelch that you will need to program (as noted).

Hot Springs, KC5QY
53.25 Output
52.25 Input

Little Rock, WB5NFD
52.81 Output
51.11 Input

Little Rock, N5NQW
53.10 Output
52.31 Input

Lonoke, W5RHL
52.89 Output
51.19 Input with 88.5 tone

Mt. Ida, KA5WPC
52.91 Output
51.21 Input

Russelville, N5XWX
51.31 Output
53.01 Input

Searcy, N5ZA
52.83 Output
51.13 Input

It looks like some of these guys also have 2 meter repeaters.  If you can't find any activity on their 6 meter machines you might want to contact them on 2 meters first:

N5NQW
147.135 Output
147.735 Input

KA5WPC
146.715 Output
146.115 Input

N5ZA
146.895 Output
146.295 Input with 114.8 tone

How do you like your 8900?  I almost bought one myself a year ago but decided on the IC-2720 instead as I have an FT-100D for 10 and 6 meters.

Don't get discouraged by some of the obstacles to getting started, Ken.  I remember when I was first licensed (MANY years ago!) and 2 meter FM was just starting to become popular in my area.  We were getting our first local 2 meter repeater and I remember asking one of the guys in the club "If we all transmit on 146.19 and we all receive on 146.79, how does anyone hear anyone else???"

Good luck and 73,

Tad Danley, K3TD
EM10dq
KG4ONJ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2004, 11:55:21 PM »

Kenneth..

I just wanted to say "hang in there" and not to pay any attention to jerks like this "Brian" character.  Not only is he misrepresenting the FAU Club but also the amateur radio community as a whole.  

I have been a ham for 2 1/2 years and held a General license for two years of that.  I homebrewed and installed several antennas here at the base station,  set up two mobile HF stations, operated portable and QRP HF, and STILL I am perplexed at 6m.  So just because someone has a few years of experience in the hobby doesn't mean that they know it all - I learn something new every day I turn on the radio.

Besides, it sounds like this guy isn't really approaching amateur radio as a hobby - don't let that happen to you.  

You mention that you're from the "mountainsides of Tennessee".  Well, so am I - Tri-Cities, actually.  If you ever need anything or have a question, please don't hesitate to ask me or most of the other folks here on this forum.  I can't promise that I will be much help, but there are some really knowledgeable people here that are always happy to help - Lord knows they've helped me more than a hundred times!

73's

Michael Barr
KG4ONJ
KD5WLH

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2004, 12:48:41 AM »

I appreciate your message Michael.  Yeah, he doesn't bother me. He doesn't (as you said) represent REAL amateur radio.  Everyone I've been making contacts with lately have been super nice.  I'm learning a lot.

k3td (Tad) has been helping me over email a lot.  He really knows his stuff.  After working with him and checking everything on my radio, I've determined I'm just gonna have to wait for the "magic band" to open up.

Until then, I'm having a great time finding new friends on 2m and 70cm.  My Dad is currently building a 2m beam antenna and I think soon we'll be talking on 2m through a great positioned repeater between us.  I also made contact with a local guy who has a ham club and I'm supposed to meet everyone on the 10th of Feb.  That will be great.

A big Thanks and 73's as well!

Kenneth
kd5wlh
K3WVU

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2004, 12:14:22 AM »

I see that Brian is still using the callsign of the Florida Atlantic University ARC--K4FAU.

Don't pay any attention to this guy.  He's all over these forums like a rash, and he passes himself off as everything from a member of the Coast Guard to an Army Signal Officer.  He also uses another callsign belonging to a ham in Georgia and uses 3 different names, Brian, Mike, and Sam.  Claims on occasion to be an Extra, but I doubt if he's even a Ham.

Florida Atlantic University ARC has been notified of his inappropriate use of their callsign.

Dwight K3WVU
M0DVD

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2004, 02:34:17 PM »

You have chosen a great radio and it was the first radio I brought when i had my m3 license and I still use the radio for base and mobile for my fm contacts both in simplex and repeater modes.
Over here in the UK i can work a repeater on 2 meters with just 5 watts and the line of sight is 55 miles from my base station by using a diamond v2000 on a 45ft mast and have worked 30 miles simplex with 5 watts on 2 meters.
If you can or have a mast or can mount an ariel up on or above a roof would be even better and your father has a good base set up then im sure you can work repeaters with no problems even with the lower power settings.
Simplex on 6 meters fm should not be a big problem with that radio and I`am sure you could do it easy with some of the lower power settings.
If you can not afford a beam/yagi or if it gets to complex in making one then try making a 6 meter j-pole which are easy to make and will only cost you a few dollars and once you have got the nack to that turn it into a stacked j pole which will give you 6 db gain and they work really well you should be easy albe to talk to your dad.
Just do a search for j-poles on the internet and you will even get a javascript to work out the measurements but remember to cut it for the highest part of 6 meters you want to use.
If i can be of any futher help or questions with that radio then please ask as I`am well up on that radio and don`t worry when i first got mine i only quickly flicked though the instruction book as i was eager to get on the bands hi hi.
When you reply to this message state if you need some advice on making a balum to bring it down to 50ohms and i will reply on how to do.
6 meter mobile should be no problem with your dad as long as you have a good mobile antenna and your dad has a good 6 meter base antenna high in gain.

73`s from the UK

Paul M0 DVD
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: