Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-706MKIIG Remote Head Mounting  (Read 2522 times)
KI4DLK

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2004, 07:11:16 PM »

I need to know how the remote head mounting kit attaches to the Dash of the car? Can you mount it without making any modifications to the car?
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 01:52:09 AM »

"heavy duty" Velcro. Not that fuzz and hooks, but the type that look like a big sheet of tiny mushrooms.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 11:09:16 AM »

Using velcro, bungie cords and such is asking for problems. If you have an accident, these types of attachements can and do come loose which makes the head a flying missle.

The head mounting bracket has a 1/4x20 threaded center hole which can be used. You have to be careful not to use too long a bolt as it will run into the back of the radio. Using just the right length one will lock the head to the bracket as there is an indentation for the purpose.

In addition, there are two smaller holes (1/8") which could be used and/or enlarged.

Alan, KØBG

AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 12:10:48 PM »

I'd like to point out that E-Z Pass transponders (the toll tags used for electronic toll collection here in the Northeast) are attached to your windshield using heavy duty velcro.
KC0MDC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 12:20:44 PM »

My 706 is not permanently mounted in the jeep, just for longer trips.  I mount the remote head using one of my cup holders.  I found an inexpensive cupholder (the one you can mount in your car if it doesn't come with cupholders) that is adjustable at walmart.  I mounted the mounting kit on the underside of the walmart cupholder.  With that in place, I can turn the walmart cupholder upside down, adjust it to the width of my car's cupholder and set it in there.  Now the remote head is well within reach since it is basically setting atop my console, relatively out of sight from people walking by, not on the dash, and not permanent in my vehicle.  I was out about $3 for the whole setup, works great and doesn't look bad either.

Good luck and 73
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 03:31:11 PM »

<< I'd like to point out that E-Z Pass transponders (the toll tags used for electronic toll collection here in the Northeast) are attached to your windshield using heavy duty velcro. >>

Yes, and they are relatively light (I have them in all 20 vehicles in my fleet) and are mounted flat against the windshield.

The average radio control head is considerably heavier and is mounted on top of the dash or similar protrusion, causing them to stick up in the air. These WILL come loose. Mounted flat against the face of the dash is another matter - those tend to stay in place.

The vehicle I just traded in had 14 holes in the front and on top of the dash where various control heads and cradles were mounted. I just put the screws back in the holes. Did this affect tradein? Possibly, but far less than the 123-thousand miles the vehicle had on it. Smiley

Lon
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 06:13:12 PM »

Kinetic energy is equal to (m*v^2)/2, in which m is mass and v is velocity. An Icom remote head weighs about 2 pounds. At 60 mph that's 88 feet per second squared which equals 7744. The 2s cancel each other out so the result is nearly four tons! While I agree the chances of getting beaned by a remote head doing 60 mph is remote, even if it hit you going just 10 mph, that's over 76 pounds of kenetic energy. Personally, I'd just as soon not take the chance.

About a year ago, the NHTSA ruled that telematic use must be noted on crash reports (telematics is their term for radios, fax machines, cell phones, etc, and they're now called crashes not accidents as they seldom are accidents). The compiled statistics are not yet available, but preliminary data indications are alarming. There has even been one documented case where a mag mounted antenna caused a death when it dislodged from a vehicle in a crash.

Think about it.

Alan, KØBG

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2004, 06:15:10 PM »

Tim, KCØMDC, make sure you read the OpEd article in the April issue of QST which will be out in about 2 weeks.

Alan, KØBG

KA3RFE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2004, 06:10:41 PM »

Thick, very sticky double-sided tape will hold a remote head very nicely. I've used this to secure a remote head to a dash. It's fine on lightwieght remote heads and I've used it with small comm speakers, too. For speakers you don't use the mounting bracket, slap the tape on the back of the speaker and push it in where you want it to go. Oh, and you don't use the remote head bracket either...

The wider size tape works better than skinny size stuff. More surface-area for sticking.

KA3RFE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2004, 06:12:11 PM »

Thick, very sticky double-sided tape will hold a remote head very nicely. I've used this to secure a remote head to a dash. It's fine on lightwieght remote heads and I've used it with small comm speakers, too. For speakers you don't use the mounting bracket, slap the tape on the back of the speaker and push it in where you want it to go. Oh, and you don't use the remote head bracket either...

The wider size tape works better than skinny size stuff. More surface-area for sticking.

KA3RFE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2004, 06:12:41 PM »

KA3RFE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2004, 06:13:20 PM »

K3IXD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2004, 06:56:38 PM »

Please consider what Alan, K0BG, said in his postings. Also securely mount the control head out of the way of the air bag. I used a Portagrip 797 bolted to the side of the "transmission" hump. It is available at HRO. The holes in the Portagrip 797 mounting plate mate with the IC-706MKiiG remote mounting bracket.

A hint, I set up a lot of frequencies in memory so I can tune via memory rather than taking my eyes off the road to change bands or jump within the band. Also I mounted the Portagrip 797 so that the control head is high so I don't have to look down at the dial.

73, Ed
K3IXD
WD4AOG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2004, 04:36:30 PM »

Here's what I did in my Dodge Grand Caravan...

I found one of those flexible stands that typists used to use (remember typists?) to hold papers, roughly similar to a small music stand.

I removed the plate against which the paper would lay and attached the mounting bracket for the remote head in place of it.

My stand also had a small square plate at the bottom which I can slide between the bucket seat mount and the floor.  This keeps the whole thing very securely in place.  It is "permanent", yet quickly removed when necessary.

Because the typist stand was flexible and adjustable, so is my remote head.  Works great and cost me nothing (Found the stand ready for the trash heap at the office).  I would suggest looking for one in stores that sell surplus office furniture.  If you find one, it will save you lots of money.
VE3IVM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2004, 10:49:49 PM »

You can buy a MB-65 optional mount. See a picture on my WEB page

http://members.rogers.com/ivanmakarov/ve3ivm_m.html

(the 5th picture from top)

Ivan
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: