Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood g71A Memory Loss  (Read 317 times)
KC0QCL

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2004, 05:25:46 PM »

I currently own a Kenwood g71A and whenever I don't use it for a few hours the memory seems to clear.  I use it as a mobile in my car as well and it especially does this if I leave it off with the external dc plug plugged up that I have hooked to the car battery.  Whenever I turn the car off the feed to the radio is turned off.  When I turn the dc feed back on and hit the power button "Wait" is displayed on the screen and then all the memory is cleared.  I've also had this happen when its just been sitting for a couple days, though not as often as when it's plugged up in my car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Derrick Jones
KC0QCL
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 07:24:07 PM »

I'm not familiar with the g71A however, if it looses memory after being off for a few hours with no external voltage connected to it then I'd surmise that it has an internal battery that needs replacing.

In the car situation, it could also be that the low and noisy input voltage while cranking the starter is actually clearing the memories. I've had radios intermittantly do that, although never with the radio turned off during starting. If that is your problem then the fix is to add a relay in the power line that has its coil connected to the accessory line on the vehicle. That will kill power input to the radio during cranking so that the voltage is either above +12V or zero with a clean transition. The ignition switch kills power to the accessory line just prior to applying it to the starter motor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: