Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mounting IC-706MK2 in 2001 Ford Expedition  (Read 439 times)
KD5M

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2001, 02:52:00 PM »

I am looking for suggestions on mounting an IC-706MKII in a 2001 Ford Expedition.  Antennas are not the problem - they are already mounted. Is there someone who has already done it with the IC-706 or similar radio out there - where did you put the radio.   Has anyone bought/used an aftermarket communications console made for police vehicles.
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2001, 01:01:02 AM »

I haven't mounted any radios in a Ford, but if it is the amount of room and how to mount the radio you are questioning - try using some schedule 40X3/4 inch white PVC with all the elbows and couplers needed to build a rack to hold the radio. I have done that for my IC-706 for use in a minivan, a pickup truck and  a sedan. Cheap and works well. You can size it to fit nearly anything.
Frank
KL7IPV
W2AEW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2001, 04:58:18 PM »

I have mounted my IC-706MkII in a 1998 F-150.  I think the interiors are very similar with captain's chairs and a center console.  In my truck, there is a lot of space between the front of the console and the dashboard.  Plus, the transmission 'hump' is relatively flat.

I mounted my rig to the front of the center console.  The console is made of plastic, so wouldn't really hold screws very well for the radio bracket.  So, I shaped a block of hardwood to form-fit to the inside of the plastic console, and ran heavy woodscrews (actually drywall screws) through the bracket, through the console wall, into the wood block.  The block adds a lot of stability to the front wall of the console (so the radio doesn't rock at all), and provides a very firm anchor for the screws.  

This mounting position puts all of the controls within easy reach, just forward of the two cupholders on the console.

I'm not sure what the console looks like in the Expedition, but if its similar, this should work.  If you want a digital picture, send me an email and I'll take one.

73 and good luck de W2AEW, Alan

------------------------------------------------------
My YouTube channel...
...ham radio, basic electronics tutorials, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/w2aew
KF6RDN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2001, 04:27:08 PM »

I used the remote seperation kit to "mount" an IC-706mk2g to a blank area on the console of a Dodge Stratus. I used 2 sided tape to attach the mounting and the body can go anywhere.

There was really no other way even though small the radio would not fit anywhere.
KB0ETC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2002, 10:22:19 PM »

In my SUV, I use a RAM pedestal mount for the radio's.  All radios are using remote installation kits, so just the heads are on the pedestal.

Check them out:  http://wwww.ram-mount.com for ideas

73's
K3KHG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 08:36:31 PM »

I just bought a used ic-706 and am going to mount it in a 1998 ford expedition ...
I wonder how you made out with your mounting situation?
Do  you have any photos???
I was at a hamfest today and looked at the Tarheel 200 antenna and think that is the way im going to go ..
Did you run into any noise problems with you installation???
Lots of questions I know ..but ..any help would sure be appreciated ..
Thanks and 73
Dean
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: