Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chevy Avalanche Mounts  (Read 1712 times)
N8WLU

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2004, 03:24:24 PM »

I jsut bought a new Chevy Avalanche and am at a loss as to where to mount a dual band antenna.  Anyone else have an Avalanche and where how did you mount with out making large holes?

Thanks,

Frantz
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 07:46:58 PM »

How large it too large? An NMO mount uses a hole just 3/4" in diameter. There is one which uses a 3/8" hole, but they come off very eaily, even in a carwash. Smack dab in the center of the cab is a good place.

Alan, KØBG

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 05:16:19 PM »

Alan,

You beat me to it! Smiley

BTW, nice op-ed article in the latest QST. Seems I've read that somewhere before. Smiley

Lon
KG4GXI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 01:30:04 PM »

Take off the grab handles on the rear corners and you will have three 6 mm bolts to mount a plate to. I took a $.89 electrical box cover 4.75" X 4.75", cut down on side about an inch to make it fit in the area. The cover has a preformed 3/4" hole in the center to knock out for a NMO monut.

In my first setup I Drilled 3 holes in the plate to line up with the bolts, used some 3/4 " teflon space to raise the place up enough to allow a 239 connection. Also bought some 6 mm X ~ 1.25 inch to replace the factory bolts.

In the second setup, I used a long antenna that needed a swivel mount to lower the antenna for parking garages. I picked up the Comet RS730 lip mount and clamped it to the plate. Yeah, It sounds funky, but has a better SWR than the first setup and is likely from having the antenna up higher and in the clear.

Yes it is somewhat directional, but it works very well for the garage challenged. AND you have 2 of these mounts just waiting for antennas.

My first setup is very similiar to this one although it is a CB ant.
http://www.geocities.com/wknaylor/Av/Ant.htm

Also, here is a link of the more valuable info regarding communications equip in AVs.
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?board=162

The site has other items that could be used for antenna mounting like a luggage bar that runs across the bed covers from grab handle to grab handle and a light bar that bolts with the existing ones used for the cladding on top on the sails.

Good luck
N1OU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 09:03:02 AM »

I've been looking at a new Avalanche and thinking about some of the same things.  One thought I had for UHF/VHF was taking advantage of all the rigid plastic covers (tonneau, boxes, etc.).  These would be easy to drill and could be covered with a plug when the vehicle is sold or when the antenna isn't needed.  Of course, some crafting would be necessary to create a counterpoise under the antenna, but stuff for that is readily available at Lowe's--washers, wire, straps, sheet metal and so forth.

I haven't looked that closely yet, but it would also seem to me that running the coax through the "mid-gate" would be easier than on a standard truck, too.  The gate seems to be rigid vinyl or something similar.

For HF the only solution I see is using the hitch receiver with one of the heavy steel mounts for a screwdriver.  Tarheel antennas has lots and lots of examples and probably a lot of good advice based on experience with Avalanche installations.

All in all, I think the Avalanche will be a pretty "ham-friendly" truck.

Gordon, N1OU
WA9PIE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 12:16:12 AM »

Okay, I've had the same question for a while and tried an arrangement with the grab-handles.  I ended up taking that off (but I was also trying an HF antenna there).

Personally, I figure I'm going to drill holes in the roof for the VHF/UHF antennas.  I've been scoping this out lately.  If you remove the black panel just above the rear glass, you can pretty easily get inside the roof above the headboard.

I plan on using a Greenlee punch to make the holes for the NMO.  That'll work nicely.  I'd recommend going to K4ABT's website and buying some of his black "rain caps" for covering the NMO when you're not using it.  I'm putting two VHF/UHF antennas back there.

Additionally, I've designed a "no holes" mount for an HF antenna that goes behind the driver's rear of the truck.  This mounting bracket fits around the metal frame under the truck and bolts on.  The bracket will hold anything - from a hamstick, ATAS-100, to a Tarheels antenna.  If anyone is interested in this drawing, I can email it.

My real issue is - I CAN'T FIND ANYONE TO MAKE THIS BRACKET FROM MY DRAWING.  So if anyone has any source for making the bracket, let me know.

Mike, WA9PIE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: