Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Rig  (Read 334 times)
RCMARTINEZ

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2004, 03:54:34 PM »

OK... I've past my Technicians Test this past Saturday now I need to start buying the right equipment. I’ve been advised to purchase either the FT-100 or the IC-706 sorry, for now that’s not in the picture.

My current choices are:

•   TM-G707A - Has good reviews and a nice price but it does not have extended Rx.
•   IC-208H - Has good reviews, nice price and extended Rx channels. Very impressive.
•   FT-7800R - Has good reviews, nice price and extended Rx channels plus weather alert. Thus far this is my front runner, but the IC-208H is a very close second.

The reason for the extended Rx is that I travel a lot and the extra channel will keep me entertained.

I’ll need the right antenna too; if anyone can make a suggestion here it is much appreciated.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 04:48:50 PM »

Hi Rick;

You're going to get a lot of opinions on this, everyone has them based on personal experience and preference.  No right or wrong here, you will have to just pick the one you like best.  Even a "stupid" reason like where the knobs are, or how the display looks.  All of those rigs are technically good, it comes down to what you like.  Don't think like this is the last rig you'll ever buy, more like it's the first of many.  Pick something, use it, enjoy it.  Down the line you might find something you like better, or your needs will change and you'll move to that.  No way you can anticipate beyond right now, so go with your gut.

Antennas- Since you are looking at dual banders, my first choice would be the Larsen 2M/70cm with an NMO mount put right in the center of the roof of your vehicle.  Be sure to get a diplexer if the radio you end up with has separate 2M and 440 connections.  This is about as simple, reliable and foolproof an antenna setup is going to get.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
ZL2WJA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 05:29:28 AM »

I,ve got a yaesu ft7800 rig on my home station setup and it works great, very sensitive rx and good audio reports on tx.
Like the senstivity on the airband,great audio on rx, like the radio alot, so have ordered another rig.
Both will be on base, the only thing you cannot do with this rig is listen to 2 and 70 at the same time like some other dualbanders, but other than that it is a great buy, the price is right aswell.
Have heard that some icoms have problems will finals blowing.
So i would highly recomend the 7800.
Cheers from new zealand.
RCMARTINEZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 12:44:47 AM »

Thanks for the advise.

I had also thought about the 8900R which also has great reviews. The biggest problem with this radio is that is not an all mode radio, therefore I can not justify buying a radio that I might not got hits on two of the four bands.

For the money the 7900R I think is the best value.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: