Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chevy Suburban  (Read 1189 times)
KC2YU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2004, 11:07:46 PM »

Indeed, car theft (both the entire car and just valuables inside) is down.  But, far from eliminated.

The one lesson we learn here is never, ever park your car and then put something in the trunk.  The theives are there watching and will then have confirmation that their efforts will be rewarded.

Certain types of highways (Parkways, Drives, etc.) are off-limits to commercial vehicles.  But, commercial vehicles, I believe, are defined as those that have Commercial license plates.  NY gives SUV owners (and any non-truck owners) the option of plate type, and I don't plan to put Commercial plates on the vehicle.
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2004, 01:00:07 AM »

Oh, I never meant that your suburban would be classified as a commercial vehicle.  I was just thinking that your antenna would hit the overpass over the parkways.  

With regard to antenna theft, there's not much you can really do other than take out insurance for your equipment (ARRL has insurance I believe).  
KG8S

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2004, 08:50:29 AM »

Joseph,
If you remote mount the rig, which I think you are, the main unit can be placed in the console under the cupholders.  Grab ahold of the cupholders (the first time may require some effort), pull them out and notice all the space in there!  I had in my 2002 Yukon a Kenwood 733 main unit, Icom 706 main unit, Icom AT180 tuner and 2 external speakers under the cupholders! Even with all of that "stuff" in there, I was still able to place my radar detector along with the above AND snap the cupholders back down.  Very stealthy.  The space is huge! Use it!  There is no good way (ie: already drilled hole with plug) to get through the firewall.  You will need to breach it with a drill bit, but everything else is cake.

If you ever decide to go mobile HF, post back.  The full size GM truck line has to be the worst in the world as far as RFI and also, HF signals getting into the audio system.  I did solve those problems, but not without some effort and a lot of ferrites......
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2004, 02:19:39 PM »

>>The full size GM truck line has to be the worst in the world as far as RFI and also, HF signals getting into the audio system.<<

Ironically enough, GM has a webpage set up just for GM owning hams -

http://service.gm.com/techlineinfo/radio.html
AD0AC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2004, 08:05:11 PM »

I just put a nice Comet SBB-5 NMO antenna on my Blazer, right on the driver's side front fender. I used one of those L-shaped brackets that attaches with three screws on the inside of the fender. Couldn't have been easier. While the ground plane isn't as good as a roof mount, the hood isn't that bad either. I think receiving and hitting a repeater at 50 miles out with 2.5W of power in the middle of the day isn't too bad, either.

Yeah, I screwed up one of the holes. So I just used some touch-up primer and paint to seal it, then I moved the mount about 1/4 of an inch down the fender and did it right. Nobody can see the holes unless you open the hood, anyway. It was my fault for not lubing the bit and breaking it off in the hole. Yeah, GM steel is pretty tough.

I use parking garages at work and I knew I'd always forget to fold over the antenna, so the fender mount works best for me. Most people don't even notice it and I have to point it out to them. I didn't want to risk breaking off an expensive glass-mount antenna, nor did I want to compromise the signal. Especially since I'm only running an HT for my mobile rig.

Take the plunge and install a good antenna, and remember that even if you go with the glass-mount, install the rig right. It may take some time and more cash, but seeing as how you're buying a Suburban, I doubt that's a huge concern. Take care of your vehicle and your rig, find out how to do it right or have a 2-way shop do it for you. Enjoy.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: